Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Paddington, Sydney > Ampersand Book and Cafe, Paddington

Ampersand Book and Cafe, Paddington

I have walked and driven pass this Victorian house, café and bookstore, which is situated on the busy road of Oxford Street many times now. The café is always busy with people either queuing or dining. As the name suggests, not only is it a café, but also a bookstore. They have over 30,000 used books stretching from the ceiling to the floor and plenty of places to sit, either outside, by the window or downstairs. Two levels of books and check out the bottom floor – I would love to have a room like this at home!

B regularly comes here and she suggested we come here one afternoon for lunch. As expected, the place was busy and thankfully we managed to secure a table outside. It was just too nice to sit indoors. They have all day breakfast, which is a bonus, and lunch consists of gourmet sandwiches, paninis, risottos, pastas, soup and salads.

I couldn’t go pass the corn fritters with fresh avocado and tomato salsa ($11.90) – it was just too pretty to eat. Two perfectly round thin corn fritters – it was sweet, and delicious. The fresh avocado and tomato salsa were refreshing and a wonderful complement. It was filling and exactly what I wanted

B opted for something healthier, breakfast bowl ($11) – which consists of half bircher and half toasted muesli topped with fresh fruit and dessert yogurt. We both loved the combination of moist and crunchy muesli together.

I can imagine coming here one afternoon, sipping my coffee and reading a book from their collection under the sun. It would be very relaxing and a perfect way to spend an afternoon. I have always loved the idea of café with bookstore.

Ampersand uses allpress coffee, the coffee here is good, but I still do prefer Single Origin. Ampersand won ‘Wentworth Courier awards for Excellence Best Cafe in 2008, 2009, and 2010′,  Service is friendly and efficient, and food is fantastic. Definitely keen to go back and try their lunch.

Ampersand books and cafe

78 Oxford Street

Paddington 2021

Ampersand Cafe & Bookstore on Urbanspoon

1. Mel
    March 9, 2011 at 1:59 am

Huh…i’ve always walked passed wondering about that place. Good to know the food/coffee isn’t that bad :)

2. March 9, 2011 at 4:14 am

From memory I “think” this place used to be some sort of take away chicken shop when I lived in Darlo about 12 years ago. I like it much better now, though haven’t had a chance to eat there. It’s always busy when I walk past – a good sign!

3. March 9, 2011 at 4:27 am

hehe, they stock my book in there somewhere! fab cafe!

4. Mel
    March 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

Oh, that looks lovely! I take it plucking a book off the shelf and reading while eating is not an option, though :P

• March 9, 2011 at 9:35 am

hey mel, think you can! i did see a few people reading a book whilst drinking coffee! am going next week to try it out, so will let you know :)

5. March 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

I love this place! With digital books inching its way into our lives, these sort of quaint bookstores will soon bite the dust, and it’s a shame. I love nothing more than browsing in a bookstore.

6. Katherine Blizard
    March 10, 2011 at 3:23 am

Many thanks for such positive feedback on our store! Will pass on the comments and the fab photos to our chef :-)