Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Darlinghurst, Sydney > Tigerbakers, Darlinghurst

Tigerbakers, Darlinghurst

This place was recommended by a friend. I was due for a catch up with one of my dearest friend, M and suggested this place. It has been a while since we had breakfast together, so this catch up was well over due!

Tigerbakers can be found on Victoria Street in Darlinghurst. It has been recently renovated, for the better I hear and opens from Wednesday and Saturday from 5pm till late. They are open every day for breakfast. There are sidewalk seating, however, it was too cold to sit outside so we opted to inside.

The breakfast menu I hear hasn’t changed, and neither has the prices. You can find your typical bacon and eggs roll, ricotta hot cakes, porridge and scrambled eggs on the menu.

Started with my usual skim flat white, unfortunately the coffee was a little disappointing. It was burnt and extremely bitter. M’s coffee was the same, it was ‘burnt’.

M couldn’t go past the special – scrambled eggs with ham, onion and tomato ($14.90) and additional hash brown. The scrambled eggs were fluffy and light and the onion, ham and tomato a wonderful complement. Unfortunately the brown toast was a little ordinary, which is a shame.

The corn and dill pancake looked divine! However, I wanted something ‘simple’ so opted for poached eggs with bacon ($14.90). Again the brown toast was ordinary, and pretty much uneventful.

The poached eggs, however, I loved! Oozed with yolk and the bacon excellent, cooked just the way I like it.

I do like the patterns on the table, from memory, every single table had a different design.

I also like the decor and the painting of the ‘tiger’ just in front of the kitchen.

The service was friendly, it was a real shame that the coffee wasn’t great. I had to get another one when I got to work as it was so unsatisfying. Nevertheless, it was good to catch up with M.

GA’s ratings: 6.5 / 10

Tigerbakers

294 Victoria Street

Darlinghurst, 2010

Tigerbakers on Urbanspoon

1. May 31, 2011 at 1:11 am

It is SO disappointing when the coffee is bad, bumma, and it would be so easy for them to use some nice chunky bread or sourdough. I loooove going out for brekkie :)

• May 31, 2011 at 3:46 am

it is… i always enjoy that first cup of coffee so it HAS to be good! i also love going for brekkie… especially on weekends – lazy sunday morning brekkie :)

2. May 31, 2011 at 4:30 am

I love a place that does good poached eggs

3. May 31, 2011 at 7:13 am

I’ve always wondered what it’s like. The food looks good but the regular wholemeal toast is really strange for a place with Bakers in the title! :P

4. May 31, 2011 at 10:30 am

I went here the morning of my wedding as we were staying the area, and getting married up the road. I had the Big Breakfast – probably not a smart move just before squeezing into a dress, but it was tasty.

• May 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

really enjoyed the eggs, just not the coffee or the toast! i say thats a good move! you need a good breakfast before a long day of standing / smiling / and all that jazz :)

5. June 1, 2011 at 2:51 am

Hello perfect poached eggs……..
    I don’t like boring toast either. Sorta kills the meal when I know I could basically knock up the same meal by visiting the servo on the corner…

• June 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

ya perfect eggs… just a shame really – if i wanted boring toast i would eat it at home!

6. June 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

yum i love poached eggs! and i do like that each table has its own design