Home > Cafe, Coffee, Italian, Sydney > Panzerotti Cafe, Sydney

Panzerotti Cafe, Sydney

I was catching up with two of my favourite ex colleagues, D and S for lunch one day. D has walked past this cafe many times, and have always wondered so suggested it. It’s a great little spot on the corner of Margaret and York Street. Large open windows, and we were lucky enough to score a few seats facing the streets near the window. Perfect for people watching!

The menu is quite simple, a couple of salads and a vast range of pasta – which I think is their specialty! From memory, there were also sandwiches, baguettes, but I couldn’t go past the fig salad ($16). Unfortunately, figs are not in season so they replaced it with grapefruit.

Mountain of rocket dressed in honey and lemon with thin slices of proscuitto, fresh grape fruit and generous servings of buffalo mozzarella and topped with thin shavings of parmesan cheese. Talk about cheese overload! It was served with a toasted Brasserie bread quinoa and soya loaf. It was refreshingly light and I love the soft buffalo mozzarella and salad dressing – delish! I think figs would definitely have been better but grapefruit was ok.

D couldn’t go past the gnocchi with Italian sausage, chili, caramelised onions in a napoletana sauce ($16.50). The homemade gnocchi was delicious, soft and pillowy, I love the spicy sauce, it really gave it that nice kick at the end.

S on the other hand ordered the Penne with olives, garlic, chili in a napolentana sauce ($16.50). The penne el dante and the sauce, not the same as D’s but had that wonderful lovely spicy kick.

Service friendly and warm, get there early as by 12.30pm the place was packed and no seats available. They sell a variety of goodies including dried pasta, olive oils, tinned tomatoes as well as fresh bread from Brasserie and charcuterie.

Open for breakfast so you can either dine in or takeaway coffee. Definitely keen to go back for lunch to have their pasta. Had pasta envy as it was definitely tasty!

Panzerotti Cafe

42 Margaret Street

Sydney 2000

Panzerotti Cafe on Urbanspoon

1. August 17, 2011 at 2:12 am

Bummer about the figs, I agree they would have made the salad tastier. I’ve walked past this cafe a zillion times, good to know food is nice.

• August 17, 2011 at 4:25 am

hey there :) thanks for dropping by! pasta was really good and so was the salad but definitely better with figs i think! definitely worth checking out!

2. August 17, 2011 at 10:35 am

ooh grapefruit in a salad, I’ve never heard of that before. But I am a big fan of fruit in salads, very summery!

• August 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

i’ve had grapefruit before but not the same… figs and rocket… my fav combo!

3. August 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Always wondered about this place. Love the look of the gnocchi and how that sauce glimmers.

• August 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm

hey dumpling girl you should definitely check it out! even though i didnt get the gnocchi it was delish! definitely getting it next time :)

4. August 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I’ve had that salad with the figs and is really is delicious! How good is that buffalo mozzarella :D
    You’ve made me really feel like pasta now – lucky I have it leftover from dinner last night!

5. September 2, 2011 at 4:27 am

The salad looks amazing. Am trying this place for lunch today! Having the meatball panini. Great coffee!

6. francois bonsois
    June 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm

going here today sis. what to order

7. Francois
    June 27, 2013 at 12:03 am

i am going here today with derek!

8. Francois
    June 27, 2013 at 12:04 am

might get the meatball sambo, dunno if i feel like a pasta today, if having a pasta, what do you recommend