Home > Syd: Haymarket, Sydney, Vietnamese > Pho Pasteur, Haymarket

Pho Pasteur, Haymarket

Pho Pasteur on George Street has been around forever! I remember dashing here for a quick lunch before heading back to class during my university days or having a quick dinner before going home after work. It’s always packed, filled with office workers, uni students, families and tourists. The place hasn’t changed, still cramped, however, price has definitely increased. I can’t remember how much a bowl of pho used to be – $6? But one thing for sure is I doubt you can get a bowl of pho for that much now.

‘The Mother’ was craving pho after a night of boozing and dancing. We had originally planned to go to Flemington but I was too hungry and couldn’t wait, so suggested Pho Pasteur.

Menus are handed out, but also written on the wall. ‘The Mother’ knew exactly what he wanted, special beef rice noodle soup ($10) or number two on the menu. The ‘special’ generally involve tripe and tendons. ‘The Mother’ knows how much I love tripe and tendons and he doesn’t always eat it all, so no guessing who will!

Served with fresh bean sprouts, basil and lemon.

The noodle and broth I like – it had a lot of flavours. I usually like my broth with lots of chili for that extra kick, but unfortunately, ‘The Mother’ doesn’t like his soup spicy.

I had the usual, deep-fried chicken with rice ($9.50) – unfortunately it didn’t come with tomato fried rice which I love! The chicken was succulent and I love the thin crispy skin. However, my favourite would have to be Pho Toan Thang, in Flemington.

I couldn’t help but order a side of seafood spring rolls which came with lettuce and nuoc cham dipping sauce. I love rolling the spring roll in lettuce, why have I not done this at home? It makes it somewhat ‘healthier’.

Service minimal, it’s very efficient and quick, pho comes out in exactly four minutes – ‘The Mother’ made me time it! Very quick!

Not exactly my favourite Pho place, I still prefer Pho Toan Thang in Flemington. But good for a quick fix or craving. We were both just too hungry and potentially too drunk to drive, so walking was the better option.

Where is your favourite pho place? Always on the look out for good pho – in the city or not.

GA’s rating: 6.5 / 10

Pho Pasteur

709 George St

Haymarket,2000

Pho Pasteur on Urbanspoon

1. August 29, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’m going here for dinner tomorrow night. My friend is worried they’ll spaz out if I try to take photos and ban him for life. Ah…I think he’s a bit paranoid.

2. August 29, 2011 at 1:01 am

This is the place with the bright orange sign isn’t it? Somehow that sign keeps me away from trying it.

• August 29, 2011 at 7:12 am

hey lateraleating! i think so… but dont fret – it is quite ‘friendly’ :)

3. August 29, 2011 at 1:03 am

yah u cant get $6 pho now anymore :( i only eat pho at toan thang in flemington. :D

• August 29, 2011 at 7:13 am

hey miss puffi! lucky you! i love pho at toan thang! but for a quick fix, this will have to do!

4. August 29, 2011 at 2:25 am

Love the spring rolls there. Lol, the lettuce makes you feel less guilty right?

• August 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

hey dumpling girl! agree!!!! next time i make spring rolls will definitely serve it with lettuce! less guilty :)

5. August 29, 2011 at 5:35 am

What great tonic for after a big night out ;)

6. August 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

The one next door has the orange sign ‘Giao something..??’ (yes, there are two amazing viet restaurants right next to each other) which is the one I always venture to for work lunch, but I hear good things about Pasteur, so I really must try it. (but the grilled pork vermicelli at ‘The Orange Place’ is amazing!)

• August 29, 2011 at 11:01 am

hey kay b – funnily, i have never tried the orange place! will have to check that out next time :)

7. Lil
    August 29, 2011 at 9:17 am

I haven’t been to Pho Pasteur in Haymarket, but I’ve been to the one in Parramatta and I thought it was decent, though not the best! I haven’t tried many pho places but I had a memorable pho at Pho Tau Bay in Cabramatta!!

• August 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

its been such a long time since i went to cabramatta, will have to try that next time. the flemington is definitely better than the city one but a good quick fix. thanks for dropping by :)

8. yygall
    August 31, 2011 at 12:24 am

Pho Pasteur is so tempting every time I walk past… especially just before getting on or after getting off a 3.5 hr bus ride!
    Toan Thang in Flemington is still my perennial favourite though. Have you tried their pork chops? LOVE their pork chops!!!

• August 31, 2011 at 7:52 am

you should definitely try pho pasteur, my fav is stil toan thang! love the pork chops there!

9. September 1, 2011 at 7:40 am

Don’t know about $6 pho, I had some $7 pho recently but it wasn’t great. I’ve never tried this place, I have passed it by many a time though. I’ll have to give it a go.

• September 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

oh where did u have this $7 pho? u should definitely check out pho pasteur – its not too bad.

10. Michelle
    September 6, 2011 at 8:01 am

My favourite pho is Pho An at Bankstown (overrated possibly, but I still love it). Pho Pasteur is my no. 2 though, been eating there for several years. Terrible service though, and I’m viet. ;) If you want the tomato rice I think you may have to ask for it. My mum disapproves though and always stops me!

• September 6, 2011 at 11:07 pm

hey mich :) thanks for the tip! will ask for the tomato rice next time! i do like pho an but hvnt been in such a long time!!!!!