Home > Asian, Chinese, Dumplings, Sydney > Sea Bay Restaurant, Sydney

Sea Bay Restaurant, Sydney

Seabay handmade noodles is another restaurant that has been around forever! It was my go to dumpling place prior to Din Tai Fung opening. It has undergone a major renovation since its olden days though, more modernized, brightly lit and the place is clean and serves cheap, substantial Chinese food!

I was catching up with a fellow dumplings lover, S and suggested this place as it has been ages since my last visit! We started with the spring pancake ($10.80), two large serving of pastry filled with vermicelli, mushroom, beef and vegetables. The pastry is thin and dipped in vinegar and chili was absolutely delicious! Definitely one of my favourites at Sea Bay.

The steamed meat filled bun 10 for $10.80 (from memory) – five dumplings in each of the wooden steamer. It was still steaming when it arrived on our table. These dumplings are quite different to the ones at Din Tai Fung. They are larger, the skin are definitely thicker, no juice but inside is filled with delicious mince meat and garlic chives. Of course it would have to be dipped in vinegar and chili!

S and I also ordered a side of vegetables, braised eggplant with vegetables ($10.80). Succulent and tender eggplant – I LOVE eggplant so this was a win win.

I came back here a few days later with ‘The Mother’ as he too was craving for some dumplings.

He started with the beef handmade noodle soup ($10.80). I love the soft handmade noodle, it was cooked to perfection and so hard not to slurp and make a mess. The beef I thought was a little over cooked, and made it a little dry.

The pork and vegetable fried dumpling ($10.80) is another favrouite of mine. Slightly panfried on the bottom and filled with pork and vegetables – delicious! I think I ate majority of this.

We also ordered a serve of the fried tofu with sweet sauce ($11.80) – I didn’t quite enjoy this one. The sweet sauce was a little sickly but the tofu was cooked the way I like it.

Great place and its reasonably cheap. Both occasions, from memory it was less than $20 each. The portions are very generous and excellent value for money. Not sure why it took me so long to go back. No doubt I will be back for another dumpling hit.

Service minimal, the place does get extremely busy, so if you have a large group, make sure you make a reservation, otherwise you might have to wait for a while.

GA’s rating: 7 / 10

Sea Bay Restaurant

372 Pitt Street

Sydney 2000

Sea Bay Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1. Suz
    September 2, 2011 at 1:03 am | #1

Your pics are amazing – makes the food look better than in person!

2. September 2, 2011 at 2:10 am | #3

This place does look pretty tasty – I’d be happy eating anything and everything you’ve showed here. It’s on my HUGE wishlist and I’ll get there one day…

3. September 2, 2011 at 3:38 am | #5

Good prices for the location. Sounds like a great option for cheap and tasty.

4. September 2, 2011 at 6:48 am | #7

didnt know seabay have a pitt st branch? i always go to the one in burwood. the price seems to be a bit more exp than burwood too. i ALWAYS order the beef noodle soup then add lots of vinegar to it <3

• September 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm | #8

haven’t been to the one in burwood, but you should def check out the one in pitt st! quite close to where you work from memory!

5. September 2, 2011 at 7:47 am | #9

I must go back and try more. We stopped by here for some dumplings on our dumpling quest but it looks like the rest of the food is worth a revisit!

6. September 2, 2011 at 11:36 am | #11

Good ol Seabay!

My preference is for Chinese Noodle Restaurant, but I’m constantly hitting SB if I want a slight change from that.

Good reporting, GA.

• September 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm | #12

very reliable i think! haven’t been to chinese noodle restaurant for a while, may have to visit that soon i think! thanks for the reminder :)

7. September 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm | #13

Looks really good and sounds reasonably cheap. Am thinking of having dumplings this lazy sunday. Great pics, thanks for sharing.