Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > Joe Black, Surry Hills

Joe Black, Surry Hills

I really shouldn’t be surprised with all the new cafe’s and restaurants opening in Surry Hills. It is one of the reasons why I asked ‘The Mother’ if we could live here. Joe Black is the new cafe on Commonwealth Street, only open a couple of weeks, Joe Black is currently on limited menu, which includes all day breakfast which is a bonus! Gotta love all day breakfast.

Their specialty is coffee and B couldn’t go past a cup of Magic ($3.50), ‘not real magic, just ask’, so we did. One of the owners explained that it’s a 3/4 sized cappuccino, it’s ‘magic’ as after a few sips, it disappears! It was incredibly smooth and tasty and was too hard not to have another.

I wanted something sweeter so opt for the hot chocolate and it was one of the nicest hot chocolate I have had in a long time! Perfect temperature and sweetness, it went down too nicely and I love the nice touch of marshmallow! YUM!

B opt for the Granola with diced apple and berry compote (very fancy) ($8.50). It was indeed very fancy and very tasty.

The mushroom and hummus on rye ($11) had my name on it – thin toasted rye with mushroom and generous serving of hummus, it was definitely healthy and delicious.

I love the simplicity of the menu, cutlery, and even the tin cups and the cute milk bottle filled with sugar.

The mural on one side of the wall – evolution of man complete with coffee in hand.

Whilst chatting and eating, we noticed one of the brothers making a coffee with one of the fancier equipment – I really should have ordered one, but really didn’t feel like coffee at the time.

B and I sat next to the other brother of the two brothers and had a lovely chat! Great little spot, great coffee for coffee lovers and they have tasty muffins, blondies and many more treats made especially by barista Gemma. If you don’t have time to dine in, they have pre-made sandwiches for takeaway.

No doubt we will be back, I bought a date and walnut muffin on the way home one day‚Ķ it was so good it didn’t even last till I got home!

GA’s ratings: 7.5 / 10

Joe Black

27 Commonwealth St

Sydney 2000

Joe Black on Urbanspoon

1. September 9, 2011 at 7:08 am

Mr NQN seriously loves the coffee here! :D He keeps talking about it :P

2. September 12, 2011 at 1:21 am

This place seems to be the buzz of the latest coffee scene, it appears!

• September 12, 2011 at 5:06 am

hey mademoiselle – it sure is! coffee is good though… going to drop by for a fix later today / tomorrow.

3. neeta
    September 20, 2011 at 6:48 am

i love this place, 2 coffees a day. :)

4. Suki Wong
    October 11, 2011 at 4:23 am

hi!! i read ur comment fm urbanspoon which made me really interested in this cafe n plan to visit her.
    i’d like to know abt the hours of this cafe.
    as no relative info provided fm the web…
    i decide to go there on sat @ around 8am..can i make it?
    many thanksss!!

• October 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm

hey Suki, think they are open, but to be safe, rock up at 9 i think.

• Suki Wong
        October 12, 2011 at 2:09 am

such a prompt reply, u’re so nice!!
        but i cant make it @ 9pm as am going to catch the return flight…ohhh!!
        wanna hope it can open earlier, n included this eating in my trip=)
        no matter wht, thank you again!!