Home > Middle Eastern, Syd: Enmore, Sydney > Emma’s on Liberty, Enmore

Emma’s on Liberty, Enmore

I have never been to Emma’s on Liberty, ‘The Mother’ and his friends have dined here frequently and really enjoyed it. Emma’s on Liberty can be found in the quiet streets of Enmore, a little restaurant with a big long communal table in the middle of the restaurant with a few smaller tables surrounding it.

I haven’t been so left all the order to A1 and he certainly did order well. Emma’s on Liberty serves some of the best Lebanese food, I have no expertise on Lebanese food, nor have I eaten a lot of it but was pleasantly surprised with how flavoursome and delicious everything was.

Upon arriving, we were served with some thin Lebanese bread to dip in olive oil and zatar, a Middle Eastern spice mixture. It was so hard to not fill up on just bread, olive oil and zatar!

We started with the hommous ($12) – freshly cooked chickpeas crushed with tahini, garlic and lemon. It was deliciously creamy with a hint of tang which I loved.

The traditional hommous ($16) – hommous topped with lamb, pinenuts, tomato and parsley were good but the ‘normal’ hommous was infinitely better, the creaminess, the tang, and besides, this one had lamb which I am not a huge fan off.

Felafel ($12) – four pieces of round spicy beans, herbs and spices deep fried until golden. Crispy on the outside, and full of flavour, and eaten with a bit of hommous, delightful!

I love haloumi, so ordered a serve of the grilled haloumi with sumac, chili and fresh mint ($12). Three per serving, the haloumi with a hint of chili was lovely.

The fried cauliflower ($14) we all loved, gently fried and served with a tangy tahini sauce and parsley.

I loved the oven roasted eggplant ($14) – deliciously tender and succulent, served with onion, tomato, garlic and spices.

Fried potato coriander ($12) – hand cut potato cubes with garlic paste and fresh coriander. The other diners certainly enjoyed this but the garlic was over powering.

The ladies finger ($16) – four fill pastry rolls filled with lamb, pine nuts and pomegranate molasses was surprisingly ok. It didn’t have too much of that lamb flavour and after taste, but one was definitely more than enough for me.

Moorish chicken ($19) was indeed moorish. Chicken marinated in tangy spices and wrapped in lebanese bread. It was filing and the boys couldn’t get enough of it!

I didn’t have any of the turkish coffee, it smelt quite strong and I wanted to have a good night sleep.

The turkish delight was deliciously sweet but a little mouthful was just enough for it.

Overall, it was a great evening with friends, and the food was wonderful. My favourites would have to be the fried cauliflower, roasted eggplant and the hommous – yum!

GA’s rating: 7 / 10

Emma’s on Liberty

59 Liberty St

Enmore 2042

Emma's on Liberty on Urbanspoon

1. October 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm | #1

hehe i love garlic so the fried potato sounds right up my alley!

2. October 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm | #3

Yum! I have always wanted to go here, friends of mine used to live next door and it was always popular. Looks amazing.

3. October 17, 2011 at 3:52 am | #5

Can’t believe I live so close and I haven’t been there yet! Food looks really taste, there are lots of things I wouldn’t eat but stuff like the fried cauliflower sound great.

• October 17, 2011 at 6:34 am | #6

we had 2 servings of the fried cauliflower, it was so good!!! the eggplant was good too, though forgot to take a pic of it!

4. Naan
    October 17, 2011 at 6:30 am | #7

Ta for the review Shierls; man I miss Emma’s! Definitely one of my favorite Lebanese restaurants, but then Liz’s bro used to cook there so we used to get awesome leftovers :)

• October 17, 2011 at 6:34 am | #8

hey naan!!!! im thinking i may have to give Emma’s a visit soon! didn’t know liz’s bro used to work there… man… there would have been some awesome leftovers!

5. October 17, 2011 at 6:31 am | #9

I love the traditional hommous!! Yum :)

6. October 17, 2011 at 6:40 am | #10

We drive past here a lot and I had no idea it was Lebanese (one of my favourite foods beside Mappen & Crazy Wings LOL). Might have to check it out with the family soon.

7. October 17, 2011 at 8:07 am | #12

that haloumi looks amazing! luckily u didnt have the turkish coffee cause that thing is damn strong and bitter!

8. October 18, 2011 at 12:38 am | #14

Love Lebanese food! I could quite happily just order dips and bread and be satisfied haha they’re always so awesome! Although the cauliflower does look pretty damn tasty!

9. October 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm | #16

everything looks delicious – the hommous is so white and smooth it looks like tzatziki..! &, i personally wouldnt mind the extra garlic kick in the fried potato hehe

10. October 20, 2011 at 5:00 am | #17

Moorish Chicken! Just from the pic i can see where it gets it’s name! Looks delish!

11. Nic
    October 22, 2011 at 2:26 am | #18

Yum! Great photos! You’ve just reminded me about this place. I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, except I did fill up on the awesome flat breads and dips, so was absolutely stuffed on leaving. Must go again soon…