Home > Asian, Barbeque, Chinese, Syd: Chinatown, Sydney > BBQ King, Chinatown

BBQ King, Chinatown

I’ve had many meals at BBQ King, mainly at some godly hour after a night of drinking and dancing. Mind you, this was in my younger days, as I no longer dance or drink the night away – it is a sign of OLD age! I have many fond memories of this place, at uni for a quick lunch, or for a midnight snack. I seemed to have enjoyed the midnight snacks more, being drunk, everything just taste so much better!

‘The Mother’ and I weren’t drunk when we went, it has been a VERY long time since my last visit to BBQ King,  four years maybe? The last time I was here, was probably after drinks with the boys and MG, one of our friends who love Chinese food suggested we get peking duck at BBQ King.

The place hasn’t changed really, the 1980s decor, the tanks of fresh seafood (not that I have seen anyone take a fish out of there!), the tables and chairs – it’s all pretty much the same!

We started with the complimentary pork soup. It lacked flavour, but then again, I wasn’t expecting much.

‘The Mother’ couldn’t go past the soy chicken – one of his favourite dishes and I have to say, it was pretty darn good. Tender succulent chicken with the right amount of sweetness to it. I have to admit, it wasn’t as good as the one in Hong Kong, but it did hit the spot! We both pretty much demolished this.

The fried whiting wasn’t too bad either, crispy, and not oily. Generous serving as we definitely couldn’t finish it.

We really wanted the snow peas but ran out, so opt for the spinach, it was good but nothing special and from memory expensive for what it is!

Overall, it wasn’t too bad, but on the pricier side! From memory, the whole meal costs $70+!! Service very minimal, staff needs to ‘smile’ more but food did come out quite quickly. Not a place I would go every day, I think there are better Chinese restaurants around, but I have to say, I’ve had some pretty awesome drunken meals here!

GA’s ratings: 6.5 / 10

BBQ King

18 Goulburn St

Sydney 2000

BBQ King on Urbanspoon

1. October 19, 2011 at 12:15 am

I love BBQ king and I especially like their roast suckling pig!

2. October 19, 2011 at 1:15 am

This was one of the first restaurants I tried the first time I came to Sydney in 2008. We had the BBQ pork and the roast duck, both were good but I found them a bit expensive for what they were.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:58 am

think everything is a lot more exy!!! but i do like how its open quite late!

3. October 19, 2011 at 5:02 am

Had the duck there once. Not bad. Its true, the staff could do with a happy injection.

4. October 19, 2011 at 5:03 am

I must say I don’t quite get the attraction here except for the late night hours. The bbq pork’s quality is quite variable too.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:57 am

agree, the bbq pork is a bit of a hit and miss… great for a night of boozing though!

5. October 19, 2011 at 5:10 am

Man, I haven’t been here in YEARS! I remember really like the salt & pepper King Prawns with the shell on…you just eat the entire thing. I do they are getting a bit pricey though.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:56 am

i agree miss piggy – it is on the pricey side. I do like that its open quite late though!

6. October 19, 2011 at 6:08 am

“‘The Mother’ couldn’t go past the soy chicken – one of his favourite dishes and I have to say, it was pretty darn good.” The mother is a he? I’ve always thought the person was your actual mother from all the post I’ve read that you posted up! haha

• October 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

LOL yes – ‘The Mother’ is actually my better and other half! I love my Mum and would eat out with her, but not every day! She’d be shocked at how much food I can eat! lol

7. October 19, 2011 at 9:29 am

I can’t believe you went to a BBQ place and didn’t order roast pork!
    Prices has definitely gone up over the past few years since it got trendy – I think there’s better cheaper food available in Chinatown.

• October 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm

*sigh* i know, ‘The Mother’ doesnt love pork as much as I do and I dont think I could eat a whole plate on my own! There are definitely better and cheaper food available in Chinatown!

8. dougalchef
    February 14, 2012 at 4:36 am

How is it possible that two dishes and some spinach cost you over $70? That’s obscene!

• February 14, 2012 at 6:20 am

Its possible alright – its BBQ KING! they are ridiculously expensive its not funny! not as cheap as they used to be!