Home > Spanish, Sydney, Tapas > Balcony Bar, Sydney

Balcony Bar, Sydney

I am really liking the small bars around Sydney. I have never heard of this place, by day, the bar is an a la carte restaurant, and by night, a small wine bar serving modern Australian tapas. I was catching up with an old colleague for lunch and he suggested this place, located on Erskine Street, it’s a small place, and can be missed if you don’t know the bar is there.

Unfortunately, D and I didn’t make a booking and the place was busy. We sat on the balcony, which was TINY! You couldn’t fit more than 4 or 5 people sitting down, and potentially up to eight people standing. It was cozy but a gorgeous day to be sitting outside.

We started with the popcorn chicken tossed in a rice flour tempura with a sweet soy mayonnaise, pepper and chilli ($12). Very similar to KFC popcorn chicken, crunchy on the outside and deliciously succulent and tender on the inside. A generous serving, it was so hard to stop at just one.

The salt and pepper squid served with a choice of mayo or chili ($12) was also crispy, tender and tasty. It wasn’t oily, or sickening, it was delicious!

The highlight for both of us would be the pork belly bites served with rhubarb and soy ($15). Four tender pork belly, which was slightly sweet and gooey. I have never had pork with rhubarb but it worked and probably my favourite amongst the three.

It’s a cute little place, definitely keen to go back at night to check out the wine bar. I hear they have almost 100 wines for different tastes and budgets! Tapas food is also served at night. At lunch, diners have the options of ordering mains such as steak, pasta, fish, lamb and salads.

Only open from Monday to Friday. Definitely a very cool place for after work drinks.

GA’s ratings: 7.5 / 10

Balcony Bar

46 Erskine Street

Sydney 2000

Balcony Bar on Urbanspoon

Categories: Spanish, Sydney, Tapas Tags: , ,
  1. November 11, 2011 at 12:03 am

I want me some of that tender pork belly, slightly sweet & gooey mmmmm…

2. Foodie D
    November 11, 2011 at 12:19 am

Enjoying your reviews on restaurants and food places in general having recently found your site! This place looks like one I will try.

• November 11, 2011 at 12:21 am

hey foodie d :) many thanks for your kind words! the balcony bar definitely worth going… definitely keen to go at night though

3. November 11, 2011 at 5:28 am

LOVE Balcony Bar – the food is so great and the service has been fab each time we’ve been there :)

4. November 11, 2011 at 6:17 am

The food here looks great…I’d happily eat everything you’ve shown. Like you I’ve not heard of this place before.

• November 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm

hey miss piggy! ya i know! great little spot, definitely will be back at night for drinks :)

5. November 11, 2011 at 7:30 am

Pork and rhubarb – you must be in heaven ! The squid looked good too :)

6. November 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Those pork belly and rhubarb bites look great, never crossed my mind to combine those ingredients.