Home > Asian, Malaysian, Syd: Darling Harbour, Sydney > More More Cha, Darling Harbour

More More Cha, Darling Harbour

There seems to be a lot of new Malaysian restaurants opening up in Sydney – More More Cha, Nonya (which is oddly above More More Cha) and Petaling Street. I must admit, I have been on the hunt for GOOD Malaysian restaurants in Sydney CBD and can’t wait to try the others. More More Cha is apparently the sister restaurant of Mamak Village in Glebe, which I have yet to go too. It was relatively busy for a Friday night, the restaurant is very spacious, lots of outdoor seating (although if it rains, I think they would lose a lot of customers!).

The menu is vast, lots of delicious Malaysian dishes ranging from appetizers, soup and roti, rice, noodle, seafood, poultry and many more. I left all the ordering to ‘The Mother’, I really couldn’t decide.

‘The Mother’ started with a cold teh tarik ($3.50), it wasn’t really that cold to be honest which was a shame. I do prefer it to be served in a cold metallic glass.

‘The Mother’ loves Kapitan Chicken ($17), traditional Nyonya flavoured chicken curry with potatoes. Large chunks of chicken which were tender, the curry was a little thicker than norm but it wasn’t too bad, it had the right amount of spiciness.

I am not sure why we didn’t get roti as the curry would be perfect with roti.

Kangkong balacan ($14.90), morning glory veggie with sambal balancan. This was a little weird I thought, served with onions, there wasn’t a very strong balancan flavour or taste. It was OK I thought, I have definitely had better.

We also got a serve of the Penang Koay Tewo Kerang ($14.90), Penang very popular dish wok fried rice cake strips with clams, prawns, eggs, chives and crunchy bean sprouts. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of this, but you read correctly, there were clams, not fresh clams though, they were canned. Not a lot of prawns, think there were only four, and it didn’t have a very strong wok smell which was a shame. It was good but have definitely had better.

I couldn’t help but get dessert. Durian panna cotta ($6.90) was calling my name. ‘The Mother’ was rolling his eyes, pulling faces, and saying how I will need to sleep in the spare bedroom as he HATES durian and can’t stand the smell of it.

Fortunately for him, the durian panna cotta was a disappointment. You can’t even smell a hint of durian and lacked that wonderful durian flavour. It was like eating a vanilla panna cotta! VERY very disappointing.

I noticed others having ice kacang and it did look good. I didn’t see the selection of kuih, but keen to see what they have on offer.

Would I go back? Possibly to try their other dishes. The dishes we had were OK, nothing to rave but I’m willing to give it another go.

Service was friendly, they even had a chef performing making roti – he had some impressive skills!

More More Cha

1 Dixon St

Sydney 2000

More More Cha on Urbanspoon

1. January 31, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Aww such a shame! I was looking forward to trying.. honestly I’m a snob and don’t think anything can beat the beloved Albee’s lol

• January 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hey i dream in chocolate :) could be just the meal we ordered but i thought nothing special! Jackie M on the other hand.. was GOOD! post to come!

2. January 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm

That’s sad to hear that the durian pannacotta was disappointing, it’s what would have lured me here.

• February 1, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hey Jen :) i know right? so disappointing! *sigh* was hoping someone would make a good durian pannacotta

3. January 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I love kapitan chicken as well. The one at Malacca Straits is excellent. A shame MMC isn’t that great; I guess that means once people have tried it they will flock back across the street to Mamak.

4. January 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Shame about the lack of punch in the durian pannacotta. Getting smacked in the face with the smell and taste of durian is half the fun! lol

5. February 1, 2012 at 4:45 am

I hate to get frozen seafood instead of fresh. I haven’t tried durian yet in any form, although durian panna cotta sounds like a big stretch… I’d rather try it on its own or in an Asian dessert.

6. February 1, 2012 at 6:22 am

awww shame about the fail pannacotta. it seems a tad more expensive than nonya too.

7. February 1, 2012 at 11:48 am

completely agree about the sudden influx of malaysian restaurants everywhere, too bad the durian pannacotta wasn’t anything special, otherwise would’ve taken my parents there to try it!

8. February 2, 2012 at 1:09 am

haha at least you can sleep in the spare bedroom, if it were the boy, i would’ve kicked him out of the house for the night :) uuuggggh durian :O lol

9. Vivian
    February 3, 2012 at 7:21 am

hey not sure whats happening. I had the durian pannacotta at more more cha last night, i think it was really good. the durian flavour gosh it was simply delicious… had the pandan chicken as well, that was the best chicken stuff I ever had so far.. making my mouth watery again now >.< lol

• February 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

hey there! oh really? i must have had a bad batch? im willing to give it another go though!

10. MY angel
    February 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm

i love two style fish dish in more more cha, as well my sister finished durian pannacotta. strong smell from durian smelly fruit, goshh.. cant stand it, sis!!
    absolute to go for my family dinner again tomorrow. lalala…

• February 4, 2012 at 12:07 am

hey there. i am beginning to think i got a really bad durian pannacotta! it didnt have any smell or taste. will have to give it another go.

11. February 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I was looking forward to try this place but maybe put it on hold for a while, its a shame about the pannacotta coz I would def order that for the sake of Durian! also the Kangkong balacan with onion sounsd a bit weird too…

• February 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm

hey obesebaby – i am giving it another go… MiL wants to go… will see if the durian pannacotta is better this time round!