Home > Syd: Flemington, Sydney, Vietnamese > Saigon BBQ, Flemington

Saigon BBQ, Flemington

‘The Mother’ loves pho and is on the hunt for the best pho in Sydney.

I am not much of a pho-lover, I am more of a crispy fried chicken with red tomato rice lover.

One weekend, ‘The Mother’ and I decide to go to Flemington – not that far from where we live but its not a place we go very often. Its been such a long time since we last visited Flemington that we weren’t sure which restaurant to try. So ‘The Mother’ suggested we scope out each restaurant and pick the busiest one and go from there.

Sure enough, Saigon Pho or as the shop says Saigon BBQ was the busiest one.

Started with coconut juice – this was way too sweet for me, but ‘The Mother’ loved it. It was refreshing and the young coconut pieces were tender and wonderful. Pity the juice was too sickly sweet.

‘The Mother’ couldn’t go pass the special noodle soup – which consits of beef, beef balls, tendons, and tripes. I am not sure why he orders the special as he never ever eats the tendons or the tripes. All pho comes with a plate of bean sprouts and mint leaves – I am not a fan of mint leaves, but ‘The Mother’ certainly loves them and puts them all in his soup.

The meat is usually half raw but will eventually cook in the hot soup. The beef were tender, and the soup absolutely delicious. According to ‘The Mother’ it is one of the best pho he has had for a while. I did enjoy the soup, very aromatic and full of flavour and the tripes and tendons were succulent and excellent.

I couldn’t go pass the crispy fried chicken and tomato rice – my usual! It was a generous serving of chicken on a mountain of rice. The fried chicken glistened, crispy thin skin and tender succulent meat. It was fantastically good and exactly what I needed that day. Unfortunately, I didn’t finish the rice – it was just way TOO much.

Cravings satisfied we wondered around Flemington and bought more snacks! ‘The Mother’ couldn’t go pass the bahn mi – which we later had for dinner.

In order to help ‘the mother’ for the best pho – where do you think is the best pho in Sydney? We haven’t been to Pho An for a while but I do remember him saying that it was the best pho in Sydney.

‘The Mother’s’ ratings: 7.5 / 10

Saigon BBQ

90a The Crescent

Homebush West

Flemington 2140

Saigon BBQ on Urbanspoon

1. March 20, 2011 at 1:10 am

Mmmm, crispy fried chicken with tomato rice. I’m with you! 😀

2. March 20, 2011 at 1:33 am

all the best vietnamese restaurants are called Saigon. Whats the go with that?

3. March 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

I use to come here for the pork chop rice with meat loaf all the time. Can’t say I remember the pho there though.

Apparently, there is one Vietnamese place in that arcade further down that people rave about but can’t vouch for it as I haven’t tried and don’t even know if that place is there anymore it’s been so long since I’ve been in Flemington.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:15 am

hey dumpling girl, thanks for dropping by! i think we saw that place – but saigon bbq was busier so we went in there! will definitely give it ago 🙂

4. March 20, 2011 at 7:53 am

Try phd in Marrickville! Formerly known as pho bac hai duong, arguably the best pho in Sydney, might convert you too 😀

5. March 20, 2011 at 8:08 am

there’s one we go to all the time.. in the alley…i can never remember the name of that place. i love the pho there. i tried pho an, not a fan. any pho would be good for today’s weather

• March 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

oh we saw that one uncle, is it next to the bbq pork, chicken place? will check it out! thanks for the tip uncle

6. March 21, 2011 at 12:26 am

D: omg! i was about to go to flemington and have pho yesterday! the best pho there is thoan thang in the alley/pedestrian walk thingy across from the supermarket

• March 21, 2011 at 12:33 am

ya everyone has been recommending that place too! will check it out next time we are in flemington!

7. March 22, 2011 at 2:40 am

I can never seem to find any pho around that surpasses the quality of mum’s home made broth. Call me biased but it’s the truth 😉
    And I am a sucker for crispy skinned chicken.

• March 22, 2011 at 3:17 am

No i totally understand Angie! i am like that with most Indonesian dishes – mum’s definitely better 🙂

8. Lily
    March 22, 2011 at 3:07 am

hi!

there’s a little place in cabramatta called pho tau bay on hill st. i think it has won awards for the best pho, if your ever in the area you should give it a go =)
    btw, they only specialise in pho, so no crispy chicken and tomato rice.

but theres a place called noodle house on john st cabramatta, they only sell crispy chicken, thats how good it is

=)

• March 22, 2011 at 3:17 am

Hi Lily,
      Thanks for dropping by! i will definitely try the place yo usuggested! its been a while since i last went to cabramatta but will check it out! 🙂

9. GIANG
    October 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

Bad Service EVER!!!!!! Having lunch at “Saigon Pho” in Flemington on Sunday, was about to finish the meal and was asked to quickly leave as other people is on the queue (note: finish your tea and let other sit) *did not do anything wrong* BAD BAD Service (just because I have a pram?)