Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Alexandria, Sydney > Brunch at Bitton Gourmet Cafe, Alexandria

Brunch at Bitton Gourmet Cafe, Alexandria

I was catching up with the lovely A for brunch and her gorgeous son, B. It was a warm weekday and A suggested Bitton Gourmet café and grocer which is situated in the heart of Alexandria. I heard they serve all day breakfast and lunch – LOVE cafés that serves all day breakfast.

The coffee here is excellent, skim flatwhite – strong, aromatic and absolutely wonderful.

Everything on the menu sounded wonderful. I was tempted to get the French crepes with strawberry and vanilla jam but I’m not usualy a sweet breakfast kind of girl. So instead, opted for the creamy scrambled eggs with taleggio, asparagus, with organic wood-fired bread ($16.20) and a side of spicy baked beans ($6.00).

It was a HUGE serving of scrambled eggs – I didn’t dare ask how many eggs were used. However, it was incredibly creamy and absolutely fluffy. It was an endless supply of eggs and at the end, I really couldn’t finish it all. It was just too much but it was definitely one of the nicest and fluffiest eggs I have had. I have taken a liking into beans, and the Spicy Beans were excellent. Beans with tomato based sauce which had a nice spicy kick at the end. It really complemented the eggs well.

A opted for the poached eggs on an english muffin served with spinach, smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce ($18.70). This looks absolutey superb. Perfectly poached eggs which oozed with yolk on a geneours serving of smoked salmon, and spinach. A demolished this, so I can safely say she enjoyed it. I know at one stage, she was on the hunt for the best eggs benedict in Sydney. Not sure if she has found it yet.

I love the wall of fresh produce upon entering the café.

The shelves that display Bitton’s own range of products – jams, dressings, oils ad chutneys – YUM! They also sell fresh produce, bread and have a freezer at the back of the café for icecream and pastas. A bought a couple of sauces – I have yet to ask her whether or not she has used them.

The café is very child friendly, apparently there is a section at the back of the café for kids – play area full of toys and blackboards.

I love the friendly atmosphere and love the food, which is fresh with a lovely Australian / French twist. The lunch menu also looked superb – spaghettini pasta with crab meat, cherry tomato and chili and garlic masala – will have to try that next time! Bitton also has their own cooking book and apparently offers cooking class which I am keen to attend.

It was so lovely to catch up with A and Benji – he was SO well behaved!

GA’s ratings: 7.5 / 10

Bitton Goumet Café

36/7a Copeland Street

Alexandria 2015

Bitton Gourmet Cafe on Urbanspoon

1. March 31, 2011 at 12:35 am

Snap! I had the scrambled eggs for breakfast on Sunday. I couldn’t finish it all either.

The trick to getting to eat the crepes too is to save room for breakfast dessert. Everyone has a main brekky meal and then we order one lot of crepes for everyone to share. mmm, breakfast dessert.

• March 31, 2011 at 12:49 am

oooo thats not a bad idea – i did want something sweet afterwards but couldnt really stomach it. i really didnt need that extra beans i think!

2. March 31, 2011 at 12:45 am

Even though I rarely eat out for breakfast, I too love cafes that serve all day brekkies. You never know when you might crave some crispy bacon, eggs benedict, and hash browns right? 🙂

• March 31, 2011 at 12:49 am

exactly! eggs benedict can be eaten any time of the day i say 🙂 love eggsssss

3. March 31, 2011 at 8:07 am

hmm this has been on my list (of 327389232 different places) for a while! cafe giulia has massive scrambled eggs too 😛

• March 31, 2011 at 9:41 am

you should definitely try it! its pretty good but i have heard long queues on the weekends!

4. April 1, 2011 at 1:31 am

More eggs than a game of Angry Birds. The Ninja approves.

5. September 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Heya Gastro Gal!
    I’ve tried Bitton on Father’s Day last Saturday. Believe me, it’s not as good as what you showed here! The crepes are terribly small, the eggs benedict is not as good as what you showed and overall, there’s nothing special with the cooking.

I’ve asked my friend who took me there whether that was the impression they got, the last time they went there but it seems that Bitton is doing worst during super busy days (and even tough we are greeted by David Bitton himself!!)

So maybe just words of warning… that perhaps the kitchen is not capable in handling big mass brekky 😛

• September 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

hey shanshan – thats a shame! i really did enjoy bitton and wouldnt hesitate to go back! we did go on a weekday though, so it wasnt to busy. will have to check it out again when it is! thanks for the heads up though 🙂

1. April 10, 2011 at 12:35 am