Home > Bakery, Cafe, Coffee, Desserts, Syd: Waterloo, Sydney > The French House, Waterloo

The French House, Waterloo

I was catching up with the lovely Volleyball enthusiast, A, for lunch. It certainly has been a while since we last caught up! We had originally planned to go to Café Sopra, but it was soooo busy that she suggested the French House which is located on the corner of Danks and Young Street.

It’s a cute place, I love the Parisian fit out, the oversized prints and mirrors, and the large communal wooden table in the middle of the balcony. I love the rustic feel, and on a gorgeous day with sun streaming in, it was hard not to sit on the balcony and just chill.

It’s a very relaxing café, you order at the counter and whilst waiting, lust over all the wonderful cakes and pastries, get a number and food will be delivered to your table.

I have been drinking so much coffee (if there is such a thing) that I ordered tea – lemon and green tea ($4). Thought it was going to be warm, but alas no. It was alright but for $4 it was a little pricey.

A opted for the large soy latte, which was served in a huge bowl ($4.50) – how I love drinking coffee out of a bowl.

The spinach Quiche ($6.50) was served warm, I loved the flaky pastry, a heavenly mixture of eggs with spinach and was absolutely delicious!

A had the Quiche Lorraine ($6.50) and judging from how she devoured the Quiche, I can safely say it was probably just as good as mine!

I love how it was served with elegant yet simple crockery, and the food was wonderful and coffee excellent. I noticed someone having soup, pumpkin soup and it smelt divine! Would have definitely enjoyed that too I think.

I love the relax ambience, we sat there chatting and people watching! Will definitely come back and have one of their pre-made baguette sandwich or even a naughty but yet delicious pastries.

There’s really not a shortage of cafes in Waterloo, and this one is definitely a keeper! Jealous that A just lives around the corner from this place.The pre-made baguette sandwiches looked fantastic and check out this gigantic brioche! YUM!

The French House

1 Danks Street

Waterloo 2017

The French House on Urbanspoon

1. June 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I was in the area today and was thinking of ditching the queue at Cafe Sopra for The French House too, but my need for pasta was too great today 🙂 Love the opulence of the decor though.

• June 26, 2011 at 11:18 pm

ya we didnt want to wait for Cafe Sopra but their pasta is hard to give up though!

2. June 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm

hey, do they still have their snobby “no photographs” signage in their snobby little pretentious cafe? it’s a good attempt at delivery (faux) a french cafe experience… but my first experience and subsequent follow up visit was rather comme ci, comme ca. nevertheless, a pretty place to sit in and look at from the outside.

• June 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm

dont think so – i didnt see any signange or anything like that. i took photos – no one said anything so assume is ok! ya – the balcony is pretty cool…. especially on a lazy sunday afternoon 🙂

3. June 28, 2011 at 6:03 am

wow, they must have bowed to public opinion and lifted the ban.

4. jean
    September 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

The no photography ban only applies to displays and decor and the reason for it is to, hopefully, prevent 100 copycat cafes popping up everywhere as the french house is fabulous and a new business! It is not snobbery only the owners trying to keep exclusive for as long as they can. I would hazard a guess that if everybody started copyng design it wouldnt be as special a place as it is now.