Home > Bakery, Coffee, Desserts, European, NSW: Berry, Snacks > Walk, Berry Woodfired Sourdough, Donut Van in Berry

Walk, Berry Woodfired Sourdough, Donut Van in Berry

Part II of Berry, the next day….

The Drawing Rooms of Berry is surrounded by forest and velvet-green pastures. Wonderful breakfast guesthouse accommodation and boasts its ‘4.5 star accommodation that combines style, absolute tranquillity, wildlife galore and spectacular setting’. Unfortunately, ‘The Mother’ and I didn’t really get to enjoy or walk on the property, however, we did go for a hike to the Drawing Rooms lookout.

The Drawing Rooms look out is a spectacular rock formation on the hill-top that’s 600 metres above sea level. The walk is about 2 hours from the bottom of the Drawing Rooms guesthouse to the top and back.

I’m not much of a hiker, however, ‘The Mother’ loves it – walk or hike or whatever you want to call it, wherever we go, he would suggest we go for a ‘walk’ (which really means hike!). I would consider myself a moderately fit person, but when it comes to hiking – I feel like the most unfit person! I gasp, I sweat like pig and I am usually exhausted by the time we reach to destination!

The Drawing Room walk was tough at first, extremely steep hills but once we got to the top, it was amazing and absolutely spectacular! Well worth the ‘walk’!

I was famished after our walk, and suggested lunch at Berry Woodfired Sourdough Bakery which is run by both Joost and Jelle Hilkemeijer. Opened in 2003, this wonderful bakery is known for its organic woodfired sourdoughs, cakes and pastries and their legendary flaky, buttery croissants.

I love the cottage looking venue, the wooden tables and the friendly atmosphere. The luscious looking pastries teasing to be eaten, the lilies on the table and the food…. fantastic!

I started with a large coffee, I didn’t realise at the time that it was served in a bowl! It was a little bitter for my liking but still very smooth and aromatic.

‘The Mother’ and I thought we would share a couple of dishes. Started with duck confit on parsnip puree with brussels sprouts and jus ($23).

The duck was so tender that it just came off the bone, the parsnip puree incredibly smooth and creamy and since ‘The Mother’ doesn’t like brussels sprouts, more for me! It was an excellent hearty dish, perfect for winter.

The minestrone soup with basil piste and sourdough ($14) was one of the best minestrone soup I have had – even ‘The Mother’ agreed!

Served with potatoes, carrots, celery and barley with a hint of chili and topped with parmesan cheese. It was just magnifique, and the sour dough bread a wonderful complement. I probably could have eaten the soup on my own, it was superb. We bought some sourdough bread which we both ate the next day with butter and pate – excellent!

‘The Mother’ loves donuts and noticed the Famous Berry Donut Van which apparently has been trading in Berry for sixty years. The donuts are cooked to order and cooked by hand and made on the premises on the spot.

Nothing beats a good fresh donut and these donuts were just incredible. Crusty exterior, soft and fluffy on the inside with the right amount of sugar and cinnamon – perfect!

‘The Mother’ ate about three on his own, and if he hadn’t had lunch, I am sure he could have polished at least a dozen!

It was a lovely mid-week getaway, would definitely recommend going to Berry if you haven’t been, even if it’s just for a day trip!

Berry Woodfired Sourdough Bakery

23 Prince Alfred Street

Berry 2535

Berry Woodfired Sourdough Bakery on Urbanspoon

Famous Donut Van Berry

Queen Street

Berry 2535

Famous Berry Donut Van on Urbanspoon

1. July 6, 2011 at 1:04 am

hey, great scenery…. the walk is worth it just for that… i want to be carried though… might need to get me a segway or a camel. it’s always nice to get away from the craziness of sydney!!!

• July 6, 2011 at 1:26 am

I really like Berry – will definitely go again i think! No one is going to carry you uncle – especially not me! maybe you can get a camel 🙂

2. July 6, 2011 at 2:14 am

I really want some of those donuts now. Your lunch looks fantastic too, must head to Berry one of these days 🙂

3. July 6, 2011 at 8:54 am

How great is the donut van! A must stop when travelling to, or even just through, Berry!

4. Anna M
    July 6, 2011 at 9:06 am

wow, such a beautiful post…I loved the scenery at the top, and the coffee in a bowl and the dounuts !

• July 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hey Anna, thanks for your kind words. If only I can eat the donuts whilst drinking the large bowl of coffee!

5. July 8, 2011 at 12:37 am

Beautiful pictures which just highlight the scenery! I last passed through Berry coming back up the coast, so only got to stop for lunch and browse some of the stores – I didn’t even get to sample these donuts =(

• July 8, 2011 at 2:22 am

hey mademoiselle – thanks for your kind words! it was lovely, next time you go through Berry must stop at the famous donut van! well worth it 🙂

6. July 8, 2011 at 1:26 am

er, r u freakin kidding me? u a moderately fit person? ur like the fittest person i know, always going to the gym and all…but saying that, even i would hike to go see the drawing room. it looks amazing!

• July 8, 2011 at 2:20 am

LOL well hiking / running is very different lah – fitness is different but well worth the effort! you should hike it one day 🙂

7. July 8, 2011 at 2:01 am

Isn’t Berry a lovely place – and I enjoy the Donut Van too (not as much as The Boy does though)!

• July 8, 2011 at 2:18 am

hey miss piggy – it sure is! we certainly like it and thinking of going back again!

8. July 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

yum those donuts are the bomb 😀
    im going to mollymook this mth and will do a pitstop at the donut van definitely!

9. June 14, 2013 at 6:33 am

Great post! I have a holiday house down in Berry and you definitely chose the best places to eat! I love the Sourdough bakery, we always buy fresh bread from there and the duck confit you ordered looks delicious. Im the same as ‘The Mother’ about being able to eat a dozen of those donuts! Glad you enjoyed your trip 🙂