Home > Bakery, Breakfast, Coffee, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills

Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills

Bourke Street Bakery (‘BSB’) requires no introduction. It has been around since 2004 and opened by both Paul Allam and David Mcguinness. Original bakery is in Surry Hills, it now has two other branches, one in Alexandria and the other in Marrickville with one more opening in Potts Point.

I can’t believe it has taken me this long to go back to BSB. Prior to living in Surry Hills, I would go here religiously, once every fortnight, and ever since we have moved to Surry Hills, only three times in three years! However, when we first moved in, the first place I went was BSB! Forgive me dear bakery, I haven’t forgotten you as you are by far one of my favourite bakeries!

The line for BSB is usually ridiculously long, but it does move pretty quickly and in my books, definitely worth it. Minimal seating indoors, there are now a few tables and milk crates outside where diners can wait and sit. However, this time round, I just wanted to takeaway and eat it at home.

I remember coming here the first time, from memory, I stood there for a good 15 mins trying to decide, but this time, I knew exactly what I wanted – pies, sausage rolls, a couple of tarts and bread. For those who has never been, I can see how it can be a little overwhelming – so many options!

I really wanted the beef brisket pie, unfortunately, they ran out and had to wait 25 minutes. So opted for the normal beef pie ($5.00) – large chunks of tender, moist beef bursting with flavour. My brother, F, believes this is the best pie he has had, although, he did ask whether or not the size has some what decreased? I love the beef pies here, the beef brisket even better – I probably should have waited!

I’m not usually a huge fan of sausage rolls, however, the pork and fennel sausage roll ($4.50) at BSB is amazingly good. The pastry is thick and flaky, the roll consists of pork mince which is succulent and the fennel a wonderful complement. Definitely one of the best sausage rolls I have eaten!

The strawberry vanilla brulee tart is a must have, unfortunately, I didn’t see any that day (I was there at about 12.45pm, either I wasn’t looking hard enough or they were all gone). Got the ginger tart which was covered with pistachios, and wow, smooth vanilla custard with ginger – LOVE!

I do love the lemon tarts too and the muffins – I love everything in this bakery. I love sourdough, the fig blueberry sourdough is amazingly good, so is the soy and linseed – unfortunately ‘The Mother’ doesn’t love sourdough as much as I do. HOW CAN HE NOT?

I remember coming here with a friend, he ordered the ‘personal’ sourdough and he took ‘personal’ literary – ate the whole thing on his own and did not share! BSB also serves breakfast items like muesli, croissants and toasts. There are also sandwiches and soup for lunch.

The coffee here is excellent, no doubt I will be back this weekend (or during the week) with a book, sit under the sun and have one of their delicious tarts!

Bourke Street Bakery

633 Bourke Street

Surry Hills 2010

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

1. July 9, 2011 at 7:07 am

I’ve been to the Surry Hills BSB just once…and wow it was GOOD! I want to go back to try a pie, the pork & fennel sausage roll and another sweetie treatie.

• July 9, 2011 at 11:05 am

must try the pork and fennel sausage – the pastry… it just melts in your mouth! awesome 🙂 and get the creme brulee tart if you havent tried it!

2. Livia
    July 11, 2011 at 5:28 am

Went here this morning… Just before my flight home(boohoo), the quiche was amazing… So was Ginger Creme brûlée… I bought 2 home and praying hard it’s still intact by the time I reach Sg… The moment I took my first bite, I was overcome with envy that you guys get to eat this whenever…. Oh the jealousyyy :)) I went to Mecca too and declared it’s the best flat white… This half lost tourist manage to find the place. Didn’t go to Porteno tho as you suggested cos I was too chicken to walk Cleveland alone in the dark on Sat and imagined my heart break when I realize it’s closed on Sunday when I found a willing food victim to go with me *wail* took the chance to eat at Hurricanes…
    Thanks so much sweetie :))
    Livia

• July 11, 2011 at 5:54 am

hey livia! oh noessss Porteno would have definitely been better! next time when you visit Syd you should go to Porteno. Glad you went to Mecca and Bourke Street Bakery! where did u have dinner on sat night? hope you had a fab time in Sydney!

• Livia
        July 12, 2011 at 11:21 am

Lol I ended up cooking chorizo pasta wth lots of cheese and erhm, kewpie mayo back in apt… Comfort food and drowning in my ultimate disappointment with wine ;p there is always next year, I will come all prepared 😀 I did Bills and went gaga over Adriano Zumbo’s maccas and taking zillion pics of his lab… Didn’t hv the luck to Ryo Ramen unfortunately… First time, they sold out their soup, second they just closed 😦 lovely week in Sydney… Beautiful sunny time :))

• July 12, 2011 at 11:18 pm

hey livia 🙂 you were so lucky with the weather! its a little cold and grey today! come prepared next year – will help you create a list of places you should go and eat every single day! nothing wrong with chorizo pasta – that sounds wonderful 🙂 hopefully you will be back soon! xx

3. July 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm

ive only been here twice but i do love all their goodies i wish i had a big enough stomach to try one of everything! hehehehe

4. July 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Just been to here today, and i really love their ginger creme brulee too!
    by the way, love to read your blog, hope we can have more chance to communicate with blog:)

• July 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm

hey 🙂 thanks for your kind words! you should try the strawberry creme brulee – think they only make it in summer though 😦

• July 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm

cool, will have a try during summer! Thanks for your recommendation:D