Home > Desserts, French, Syd: The Rocks, Sydney > Baroque, The Rocks

Baroque, The Rocks

I have heard wonderful things about Baroque Bistro Bar Patisserie which is located in The Rocks. A dear friend from Hong Kong, J, was visiting, so suggested this place. Baroque serves classic French Bistro dishes, desserts and of course they are well-known for the macarons which are made daily in the kitchen.

The chef behind this wonderful restaurant is Peter Robertson, ex Oscillate Wildly and Bilsons. I love the decor, it is a mixture of modern, contemporary and traditional, I love the cooper pans hanging from the ceiling, the cooper lights and the translucent plastic chairs.

We started with fresh baguette which was served in a large red bowl (like a bunch of flowers!) and olive oil. The baguette was fresh, crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Dipped in olive oil it was fantastic!

I couldn’t go past the Joues de bœuf braisées, panais rôti, ail frits, créme de panais à la vanille, Braised cheek of Angus beef, roast parsnip, fried garlic, vanilla parsnip cream ($33).

Oh my…. the cheeks were so tender that it just melted in my mouth. It was a rich and hearty dish, perfect for cold winters day. The vanilla parsnip cream was oh so creamy and sinful and absolutely magnificent. It was exactly what I needed that I day.

J couldn’t go past the special of the day, Fish with crab cream and mash ($33) – silly me have totally forgotten the name!

The fish was cooked to perfection, crispy skin, the fish was moist but yet firm. The crab cream was to die for! It was one of the nicest fish dish I have had. J absolutely loved it and we both still talk and dream about the crab cream, it was just superb!

For dessert, we ordered a couple of macarons (which I didn’t take a photo off!) pistachio and sour cherry – it was nice but still a little too sweet for my liking. I liked the combination of sweet and sour, the sour cherry centre was strong but wonderful. I didn’t have the other, Lychee, J said it had a strong lychee flavour, but she did prefer the pistachio and sour cherry.

It was a wonderful and relaxing lunch, the atmosphere and ambiance fantastic. Service friendly and they had a vast range of wine. Child friendly, we had baby A with us and they were all kind and hospitable.

I heard that each week Baroque makes 8,000 macarons! Unfortunately, I didn’t buy any desserts but no doubt I will be back to buy one of these lovely sinful sweets.

GA’s rating: 7.5 / 10

Baroque Bistro Bar Patisserie

88 George Street, The Rocks

The Rocks, 2000

Baroque | Bistro Bar Patisserie on Urbanspoon

1. WW
    July 11, 2011 at 12:16 am

Great review! Go back and try their salted caramel macarons 🙂

• July 11, 2011 at 12:17 am

Hello WW 🙂 wanna join me then? we can go for coffee and salted caramel macarons! bring little WW 🙂

2. July 11, 2011 at 4:29 am

Weee, I’m going here for lunch in a few weeks and CANNOT wait! Looks like great food.

• July 11, 2011 at 4:36 am

hello miss piggy! food is fantastic! make sure you take photos of dessert.. unlike me… heheheheh

3. July 12, 2011 at 1:08 am

these guys truly have the best macarons in sydney! pillowy and a soft crisp shell that yields ever so gently! i do want to try their food. copper pots… *heart melts*

• July 12, 2011 at 1:25 am

will have to try the salted caramel – heard it was excellent! if the copper pots weren’t so high up – would ‘borrow’ one! heheheeheh

4. July 13, 2011 at 9:04 am

Evenly ever been to baroque for dessert – it’s such a stylish little place to take friends! These dishes look far too tempting, must head there for a proper meal soon..not that dessert isn’t a proper meal of course!

• July 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Hey Miss G 🙂 definitely worth a visit for a proper meal and of course dessert is a proper meal! MOST important meal of the day 🙂

5. July 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

i remember coming here when they first opened,, i can see they have come a long way, everything looks gr8!

6. J
    July 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hello! The fish was sea salmon. And I realise that I started the macarons before you could take a photo – sorry! Thanks for a great meal – tried taking K there for lunch the following week, but they were fully booked. 😦

• July 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm

hey J 🙂 it was indeed so lovely to see you! it was indeed a great meal…. hopefully i will see you again soon – here in Syd or in HK! xx

7. July 25, 2011 at 9:06 am

Was just here last Sat night for a macaron fix! I have to give the braised cheek of angus beef a try. Looks good and I love braised meat. Nice photos!

• July 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

hey ramen raff – thanks for your kind words! love the braised cheek – SOOO GOOD! definitely worth going for dinner 🙂