Home > Latin American, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > El Capo, Surry Hills

El Capo, Surry Hills

Trying to decide where to eat in Surry Hills can be a little daunting and confusing sometimes. There are so many restaurants and cafes that it is hard to pick which one. El Capo has been on my list for a while now, ‘The Mother’ and I were supposed to go for dinner, but when we rocked up on a Friday night at about 7.30pm, they said we had to wait for 45 minutes that we both walked away and said next time.

El Capo can be found on Waterloo Street, ‘sandwiched’ between Orto Trading Co and Izakaya Fujiyama. El Capo serves Latin Amerian food, it is all about ‘latin flavours’ and the menu focuses on pickles, chili and smoke.

The restaurant is quite small, about six communal tables with mismatched chairs. My favourite would have to be this stool made out of US100 dollar bills! Uber cool!

I love the decoration inside, the box of dominoes, the different types of tin of utensils.

Whilst waiting for the lovely S, I ordered a glass of tamarind juice. Deliciously refreshing with a slight tang.

The Lunch menu is well priced, albeit limited, four lunch options all for just $10. Grits, pork and salad ($10) – it really had me at pork. Pork, puffed white corn and cabbage salad was delightful.

Different flavours and textures, it had a nice spicy kick at the end. The pork shredded into pieces and the salad a wonderful complement. It was light and frigging tasty! A definite winner for me.

S on the other hand opted for arroz con pollo – Caribbean chicken rice. Risotto like, it was nice butΒ  it was extremely creamy and left a very strong sour aftertaste. If you like the cream and tang then this is the dish for you as it would be perfect for winter. Apparently it is one of their best sellers, however, not for me.

I don’t think S enjoyed his dish as much as I did. The portions for each servings were definitely generous. More options for dinner, I’m definitely keen to try the pork cheeks, smoked passionfruit, congo potatoes! The fish ceviche sounds divine too.

Decor simple, service very friendly and atmosphere great.

El Capo

G08/52 Waterloo Street

Surry Hills 2010

El Capo on Urbanspoon

1. July 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

This looks funky & cool. Haven’t heard of it before — need to go!! love my latin food.

• July 26, 2011 at 12:36 am

hello shaun loves ramen! thanks for dropping by – its a bit of a hit and miss but my dish was definitely a hit! definitely keen to hear your thoughts – definitely check it out and lunch is pretty good value!

2. July 26, 2011 at 12:48 am

Cute fitout πŸ™‚ The tamarind juice isn’t the prettiest, but the other dishes look great. And you can’t complain about that pricing!

3. July 26, 2011 at 12:56 am

I’ve heard both good & bad things about the food here, but I’d go along as I’m keen to try “grits”…always hear about them on American TV shows..but what ARE they?

• July 26, 2011 at 2:12 am

hey miss piggy – definitely worth trying! but it is a bit of a hit and miss.. grits – ground popcorn – so it was a little crunchy like!

4. July 26, 2011 at 1:13 am

ooh puffed white corn sounds interesting! like popcorn?

5. July 26, 2011 at 2:59 am

$10 lunch specials. I’ll have to try this place out when I’m off next Monday!

6. July 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

looks like a fun place to visit. i like the quirky decor πŸ™‚

7. August 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Love the whole vibe of the place. So gangsta!

Would be interested to see how the other dishes are like, not just the lunch specials.

• August 4, 2011 at 11:26 pm

ya i am keen to try their dinner one evening too… definitely love the vibe πŸ™‚

1. August 16, 2011 at 12:17 am