Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > Lumiere Cafe and Pastisserie, Surry Hills

Lumiere Cafe and Pastisserie, Surry Hills

Lumiere Cafe has been around for as long as we have lived in Surry Hills. Located in the St Margarets complex which was developed in 2005. This cafe has an extremely super-casual vibe and the chef behind this super-casual cafe is Chef Buster Brown, English-born, French Rivera-trained.

The cafe is cozy and brightly lit. It’s hard not to drool over the scrumptious looking cakes and bread. The chai latte is one of the nicest I have had. Strong cinnamon flavour and thank goodness I got an ‘upgrade’ – I think a small would definitely would not have been enough!

I couldn’t go past the corn cakes with poached eggs, crispy bacon, avocado and homemade tomato relish ($19) – YUM! Sweet corn cake, a little more dense than a corn fritter, as it is made with cornmeal, flour and sweet kernels. It was filling and exactly what I needed that day. I love the crispy bacon, fresh avocado and topped with homemade tomato relish – delish! I really didn’t need the toast, as it was filling.

B couldn’t go past the muesli with yogurt, poached pear and poached rhubarb – hmhm love rhubarb! Let’s just say B did not share but I did manage to steal a couple of spoonfuls.

I love the glass window, the sun streaming in. The staffs are friendly and welcoming. They serve breakfast all day which I love!

As always it was lovely to catch up with you B.

GA’s rating: 7 / 10

Lumiere Cafe and Pastisserie

425 Bourke Street

Surry Hills 2010

Lumiere Cafe & Patisserie on Urbanspoon

1. August 24, 2011 at 1:56 am

ooh i love corn in anything so the corn cakes sounds perfect!

2. Janice
    August 24, 2011 at 4:16 am

Lumiere is in a great spot, and their baked goods are certainly yummy, but after going in there at the end of the day to grab a quick coffee and some pastries, I saw one of the bakers grabbing the whole tray (it was massive) of unsold goods, this was tray #1 of 2, and throwing them all straight to the trash. I commented on that and asked what happens with the excess and they couldn’t care less. Now, Lumiere is located right across the road from a Soup Kitchen, wouldn’t their croissants, pain au chocolat, muffins, cakes, slices, and quiches come in handy? It made my blood boil. A little social responsibility and community support never hurts, especially when the effort would be minimal. They’re running the business successfully, a little philanthropy could prove even more rewarding.

• August 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm

hey janice, its such a waste when they just throw stuff isnt it? such a shame that they dont just give it to the soup kitchen! i am sure someone will eat it!

• Janice
        August 25, 2011 at 3:56 am

totally! on a corn fritter note, if you’re ever on the beachside for breakfast, Trio Cafe in Bondi does a pretty solid corn fritter dish with/goat’s cheese on the side.. not bad at all.

• August 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm

oooo i have been to Trio Cafe but dont think i had the corn fritter! will have to check it out again 🙂 thanks for the tip!

3. August 24, 2011 at 9:14 am

Oh I do love a good corn fritter but this one does look a little heavy on the batter. Love the colour of the rhubarb – so pretty!

• August 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm

hey helen, the corn fritter was more like a corn cake – so a tad heavy on the batter but still quite tasty. didn’t need the bread thats for sure!