Home > American, Bar, Burgers, English, Pub, Syd: Chippendale, Sydney > Abercrombie Hotel, Chippendale

Abercrombie Hotel, Chippendale

I vaguely remember coming to the Abercrombie Hotel Pub for quick beers before heading home during university days, but have not returned or remembered it existence since lately when I came here with E for some lunch time pub grub. For those who know this place well, the Abercrombie Hotel was very popular for its Friday night Purple Sneaker Parties, and has been leased to one of the Gang Bang DJ’s, Jaime Wirth.

The menu is very British I thought, I love the decor inside, the booth seating which is covered by different types of tartan, bookshelves filled with books and the cheeky paintings hung on the walls. I love booths, so automatically went to the first available.

Everything on the menu sounded delish, we started with mac n cheese balls ($12), four perfectly round balls, deep fried and served with a side of aioli.

Crunchy and crispy exterior, and inside, macaroni and gooey stringy cheese. It was tasty but definitely calorific!

We both couldn’t resist ordering the scotch egg slider ($6) – scotch eggs, mayonnaise on a mini roll. Incredibly cute – it was the tiniest and cutest burger I have seen in a long time!

The quail egg wrapped around the sausage was lightly battered and then deep fried, it was insanely tasty and if I didn’t order the chicken burger could have easily eaten another on my own.

The fried chicken burger ($10 – lunch menu), fried chicken, slaw, chili mayo and fries sounded awesome, however, it was a little disappointing. Thought the chicken was a little on the dry side however the slaw and chili mayo a wonderful complement.

E opted for the double cheese burger ($10) – double beef pattie, double cheese, pickles beetroot and tomato sauce on a toasted sesame seed bun. I had serious food envy – the burger looked absolutely fantastic!

I didn’t have any but look at that juicy beef pattie, and melted cheese? E said it was good, a little messy but all good burgers should be messy!

The chips, I forgot to take a picture of it, but they were crinkle cut! Now you don’t see many places that serve crinkle cut chips so both E and I were in absolute heaven! She liked the soft and gooey one, I liked the thin, and crispy – worked quite well really!

The highlight of the Abercrombie hotel is supposedly their deep fried gay time. Now, after all the calorific food we just consumed, I really couldn’t stomach a deep fried gay time! I have heard mix reviews about this, some absolutely loved it, some questioned why you would take a good ice cream and deep fry it? It sounds wrong, I know but not doubt I will drag ‘The Mother’ in the coming weeks for some deep fried gay time and double cheese burger! I may need to work off all the indulgence from lunch first!

I can see this place as a popular spot for university students, it doesn’t get better than $10 lunches! Seriously, why didn’t they have this when I was in university?

The Abercrombie Hotel is open to early hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights with a DJ spinning tunes. They serve cheap eats with food ranging from $5 to $19 and $10 lunch specials and dinner specials every night – if you like tacos they have $3 tacos on Wednesdays from 6 – 10pm. Definitely a visit if you haven’t been but be ready to eat some highly calorific food! YUM!

Abercrombie Hotel

Corner Of Broadway And Abercrombie St

Chippendale 2007

Abercrombie on Urbanspoon

1. September 5, 2011 at 12:28 am

the deepfried gaytime is to die for!! mostly because it clogs up your heart, but it is super dooper yummy!!

• September 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

hey kayb πŸ™‚ DAMN! will have to go and get some deepfried gaytime then! but seriously after all the fried goodies, i really just couldnt stomach it. there will be next time!

2. September 5, 2011 at 12:50 am

That’s a few peeps who have commented on the chicken burger being dry, and I love fried chicken. Is it a breast piece? I think the consensus is that the double cheeseburger is the best, not that I need any more convincing! Ha.

• September 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

hey joey πŸ™‚ it was the breast but very thin, and it just lacked juiciness like the beef pattie! it was dry, a shame though cause i do love fried chicken and i can never say no to a fried chicken burger!

3. September 5, 2011 at 2:58 am

This place is just a little too close to my work for my liking…avoiding for the sake of my waistline.

• September 5, 2011 at 5:36 am

hey miss piggy! definitely worth a visit but yes – i would recommend wearing stretchy pants! lol

4. September 5, 2011 at 3:03 am

wow that mac and cheese ball looks freakin good! cant believe u didnt order the gay time. it was delicioussss

• September 5, 2011 at 5:37 am

hey miss puffi! i know! but i was SOOOOO full and felt a tad sick from all the fried goodness! thought the gay time would put me off the edge. but no doubt i will be back!

5. September 5, 2011 at 3:08 am

Great innards shots! Love the fact that they serve burgers in proper buns, I’m so used to them and find it annoying when Australians use something else.

• September 5, 2011 at 5:37 am

hey lateraleating πŸ™‚ i agree with you! i like the proper buns on burgers! will definitely be back thats for sure

6. September 5, 2011 at 9:17 am

That scotch egg slider is a great idea! I’m drooling at the mere thought of it! πŸ˜€

• September 5, 2011 at 10:54 am

hey lorraine, definitely worth going just for the scotch egg slider πŸ™‚

7. September 6, 2011 at 12:03 am

ohmy! MAC AND CHEESE BALLS?! genius!