Home > Asian, Dumplings, Sydney > Lynn Shanghai, Sydney

Lynn Shanghai, Sydney

I have noticed Lynn Shanghai sign ‘coming soon’ many times now and it has finally arrived! Opened for about two months, Lynn is located in the heart of CBD on the ground floor of the Castlereagh Club which is on Castlereagh Street.

I was meeting ‘The Mother’ for dinner – date night – and I suggested this place as I know how much he loves dumplings and I wanted something different to Din Tai Fung. The place was relatively busy by the time we got there, but thank goodness there were no queues and we were seated straight away. The name behind Lynn is that the owner didn’t want the typical Chinese restaurant names such as golden, palace, kingdom and etc for the restaurant. They chose Lynn because it is a name both in Chinese and Western culture. She tells us that everyone has started calling her Lynn including ‘The Mother’!

We started with the baked sesame pocked with sauteed minced chicken and preserved vegetables sprinkled with pine nuts ($16.80).

‘The Mother’ couldn’t wait to dig in, baked hollow ‘bread’, you put the filling into the sesame pockets and eat them. It was delightful. The minced chicken, preserved vegetables reminds me a little of sang choy bao but only better! It was definitely a great way to start the meal.

The moment we have been waiting for, xiao long boa, famous Shanghai steamed pork buns (6 pc for $8.80).

Some claimed they are better than Din Tai Fung. I don’t know if they are better but I can definitely see the similarity. Thin pastry, the dumplings are plump with soup – so take care when eating them. Once they are cooler, I couldn’t help but put the whole thing in my mouth and it burst with flavours. I can say that six was definitely not enough, I could have probably eaten the whole thing on my own! They were good and really hit the spot!

Another favourite of mine, panfried vegetables and pork dumplings (6pcs for $10.80). They don’t have this at Din Tai Fung so it was a must order!

I love the slightly crispy bottoms, but beware, these dumplings are hazardous. Eaten too early, soup will squirt out and burn your fellow diners, or your mouth! They were deliciously crispy and filling!

The sauteed string beans with bamboo shoots ($12.80) is ‘The Mother’s’ favourite. Served with mince pork, it was definitely tasty!

I thought the food came out a tad slow. Our dumplings came last, although in saying that, there were only two people making it, unlike in Din Tai Fung where there are at least half a dozen of people. Regardless, the food was tasty and I am definitely keen to try their other dishes. The fact that we didn’t have to queue is a bonus, so I would probably try going here again. If you go before the end of October, you get a 20% discount off the food bill, but must pay in cash – which suited us fine!

*updated*

We came back about a week later for lunch, C wanted to take advantage of the 20% for lunch. The place was relatively busy but no queues at all.

We started with the premium sliced pork soaked in traditional herb and dipped in home made sauce ($9.80). Served cold, the sliced pork was thinly sliced. The sauce was thick and a little sweet, I’m not 100% sure if I enjoyed it as much as the others.

The steamed crab meat and pork buns (6pcs for $11.80), similar to the xiao long bao (xlb) but with crab. The pastry was just as thin as the normal xlb but I didn’t really enjoy the crab one. i do prefer the normal xlb.

We all enjoyed the shredded beef work fried with sweet and sour sauce and a hint of chili, served with pancakes ($18.80). The shredded beef was deliciously crispy, sweet with a slight tang. No chili at all, so it wasn’t spicy.

The pancakes were thin and a wonderful complement. Even without the pastry, I really enjoyed the shredded beef, it was tender and absolutely delicious.

We also ordered the Shanghai panfried dumplings and the famous Shanghai xlb – YUM!

GA’s rating: 7 / 10

Lynn Shanghai

199 Castlereagh Street

Sydney 2000

LYNN Shanghai Cuisine on Urbanspoon

Categories: Asian, Dumplings, Sydney Tags: , ,
  1. October 10, 2011 at 12:56 am

ooh im super keen to try their xlb!

2. October 10, 2011 at 1:28 am

YUM! I’m there!!
    Always great to add to the dumpling stable of Din Tai Fung, Seabay & Shanghai Nights!
    And you always order exactly what I would order too 🙂

3. October 10, 2011 at 2:55 am

I should have never seen your posts early in the morning prior to breakfast. I am so hungry right now!!!

Looks so delicious and scrumptious! I must check it out when I come down to Sydney.

• October 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm

hey nick 🙂 apologies!!! but they are scrumptiously good!! hope you have an awesome trip in Sydney!

4. bitemeshowme
    October 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Those dumplings look soooooooooooooooooooooooooo plump and juicy.. mmm

5. October 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

This place looks GREAT! It’s owned by a friend of a friend of a friend of my hubby’s workmate…

• October 10, 2011 at 11:03 pm

ooo so you ‘kinda’ know the owners? nice! i like it – definitely wouldnt mind going back again

6. October 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Oooh, thanks for the heads up re the October discount! 🙂

• October 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm

hey tina, no dramas! should definitely go before end of Oct – definitely keen to go again and try their other dishes!

7. October 10, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I’m all for new places to eat but Shanghainese cuisine is starting to be too ubiquitous …. does look quite all right though.

8. October 11, 2011 at 3:10 am

Love the idea of the hollow bread, kind of like sang choi bao ^^ mm if the dumplings are similar to DTF i’m definitely checking this place out!

9. October 11, 2011 at 6:06 am

how does the pan fried pork buns compare with the ones at taste of shanghai?

10. October 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I ate here a few days after they opened and returned the following day! I quite like it and once I try it another time I need to get my finger out and blog it. The pork dumplings look fab!

• October 18, 2011 at 1:10 am

the pork dumplings were great! i am keen to try their other dishes… definitely going to go back soon! look forward to your review!

11. Kim G
    October 19, 2011 at 5:13 am

Great food and service. The pan fried pork & vege dumplings, salt & pepper squid and shredded beef pancakes were standouts, but everything was delicious.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:57 am

food is pretty good, wouldn’t mind some dumplings fix … thanks for dropping by 🙂