Home > Italian, Sydney > Jamie’s Italian, Sydney

Jamie’s Italian, Sydney

Jamie Oliver requires no introduction. Most of us would probably have one or two (or more) of his cook books. I definitely have a couple and have tried to replicate most of the dishes. His first Sydney restaurant, Jamie’s Italian opened this week, and it has been busy from what I hear. There are no bookings for groups less than 6, so be prepared to wait by the bar if you come during peak hours.

Located on the busy street of Pitt Street, it used to be Industrie, a Souther French restaurant. I remember dining there a couple of times, but it really didn’t blow me away. I have been looking forward to dining here, so suggested lunch with a fellow food lover, D.

We started with the complimentary bread, sourdough, focaccia and dryish bread stick, served with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic. I thoroughly enjoyed the focaccia and would happily eat this all afternoon.

D couldn’t go past the truffle risotto ($17 / $28.50) – entree size of finely shaved black truffle with creamy rice, butter and parmesan, ‘a real treat’ they claim. The risotto was nicely cooked but we both agreed that it could have done with a lot more truffle!

I on the other hand couldn’t go past the buffalo ricotta ravioli ($14 / $21), entree size of delicate parcels stuffed with creamed ricotta, lemon, mint and Parmesan. ‘Pure heaven’ it says, and how can I say no to that? Five moderately large ravioli filled with creamed ricotta, which was cooked to perfection. The tang from the lemon really gave it that nice touch and I have to say, it was ‘pure heaven’. Serving wise, just right for lunch, as I didn’t want to be in a food coma, and dessert, I wanted dessert!

We shared the rocket and radicchio salad ($7.00) with aged balsamic and shaved Parmesan, which was recommended by the waitress and it was a wonderfully light and refreshing salad that went with both our pasta!

For dessert, we both couldn’t go past the special tiramisu ($9.00) – coffee flavoured trifle with orange mascarpone and chocolate. I have never had orange zest with my tiramisu, so this was refreshing, and absolutely delicious. D and I certainly enjoyed this.

The restaurant was busy when we rocked up at 1.30pm, lots of suits. Service friendly and warm, and our waitress was quite knowledgeable about each dish. I am definitely keen to go back to try their non pasta dish. Great for afternoon lunch with friends or even for a business meeting, although the place did get a little rowdy. None the less, it was an enjoyable meal at reasonable prices!

Came back a week later, and vowed I would order a non-pasta dish, alas…. Came here with a dear friend, A, she is a HUGE Jamie fan. I think at one stage she was thinking of naming her child (boy or girl) Jamie.

We started with the crispy squid, fried squid served with really garlicky mayo ($12.00). Served in a terracotta dish, the fried squid was served with chili, garlic, and lemon. The ‘really garlicky mayo’ really gave it a nice touch and tang. It was absolutely delicious and I think both A and I could have had another serving of it.

I wanted to order a non-pasta dish, but really couldn’t go past the prawn linguine ($15.50 / $25.00), entry size, the linguine was al dente, the prawns were pan-fried and garlicky and served with tomatoes, chili, rocket and fennel. The chili really gave it that extra kick, I would have liked it to be a little more spicier.

A couldn’t go past the crab and squid ink risotto ($15.50 / $26.50) – black creamy rice with hand-picked spanner crab and crunchy herby crumbs. We had the main size and boy was it big! You couldn’t miss it, black risotto, it looked fantastic and it was! The lemon really gave it a nice tang flavour, and crab flesh was just delightful.

We ordered a side of salad, rocket and radicchio salad ($7.00) – with aged balsamic and shaved parmesan, it was as good as the first time!

Unfortunately we didn’t have time for dessert, A’s baby boy was getting a little restless, but saw the table next to us have the ultimate brownie and it looked DIVINE! next time!!!!

The restaurant is quite narrow, but definitely kids friendly. A’s son sat on a high chair and was a winner amongst the staff but then again, he is super duper smiley and absolutely gorgeous!

GA’s ratings: 7.5 / 10

Jamie’s Italian

107 Pitt Street

Sydney 2000

Jamie's Italian on Urbanspoon

Categories: Italian, Sydney Tags: ,
  1. October 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Looks great! Can’t wait to try myself, especially after walking past and seeing the live pasta-making action in the window.

• October 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm

hey mademoiselle 🙂 im keen to go back too – try their non pasta dish but i have an inkling feeling i will get the ‘pure heaven’ ravioli again!

2. October 27, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I went there for dinner that night. Definitely want to try the buffalo ricotta ravioli now, sounds so good. The orange in the tiramisu was a nice touch, totally agree.

• October 28, 2011 at 4:18 am

hey dumpling girl, i really enjoyed the buffalo ravioli, wouldn’t mind some right now!

3. October 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Is that butter that the ravioli is sitting in?? Whoa!

4. October 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

oh wow that ravioli looks amaaaazing argh dying in hunger right now!

5. October 28, 2011 at 1:18 am

I totally on the hype bandwagon re this place and cannot wait to go. Your pasta looks lovely.

• October 28, 2011 at 4:20 am

hey miss piggy – really enjoyed the pasta! keen to try their other dishes too!

6. October 28, 2011 at 1:21 am

That rav def does look pure heaven!

7. October 28, 2011 at 2:59 am

I was there yesterday and my pasta was a bit too RAW!!!

• October 28, 2011 at 4:23 am

oh thats not good 😦 mine was cooked perfectly!

• studio
      October 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

It wasn’t raw … the word is “al dente.” The pasta is supposed to be slightly chewy. Remember it’s a proper Italian restaurant. The pasta doesn’t come out of a can which sounds like the sort you’re accustomed to.

• Beebs
        October 31, 2011 at 4:26 am

Studio, how do you know it wasnt under cooked? Its likely that Sunny is another aussie who isnt used to having their pasta al dente but you dont know that do you? Its possible it was just undercooked. As an aside it seems most of the pasta at jamies is fresh pasta which is supposed to be cooked past al dente. Anyway cant wait to try to restaurant.

8. October 28, 2011 at 5:49 am

Great that they have entree and main sizes, all restaurants should have them!

9. October 31, 2011 at 7:44 am

LOVE Jamie’s restaurants in the UK.. SO happy to finally have one at home! Going to try to get there this week. Pricing is about the same, if not better, than in the UK which makes it even more attractive because mix that with the quality and atmosphere and mwah! 🙂

10. Suz
    November 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Am dying to try this place. The ravioli looks amazing!!

11. Mike G
    November 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

This place was loud and cold

The waitress snuck a $7 bottle of acqua minerale on the table when we asked for tap water

The squid ink risotto was bland and undercooked

Mussel linguine bordered on home-cooking standard

The mushroom ravioli was passable

5/10

• November 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thats a shame MG, cause came back a week later, had the squid ink risotto and really liked it! I must admit though, service 2nd time round was not as good as first time!

12. Erika
    April 9, 2012 at 7:09 am

Its really great to see some of the food that I had at Jamies Italian in Oxford, England. I have been a huge fan of his, and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I totally remember the amazing bread, the side salad was a must and so delicious. I also had the lemon ravioli(which was the best pasta I have ever had), and that orange tiramisu-OMG it was incredible!! I was lucky enough to go there 2 times, where I had the lamb lollipops and cheeseboard with all the different meats, it was amazing again. I constantly think about those meals. Seeing this post really made me happy 🙂