Home > Italian, Syd: Woollomooloo, Sydney > Otto Ristorante, Woolloomooloo

Otto Ristorante, Woolloomooloo

It certainly has been a very long time since my last visit to Otto. It used to be one of my ex colleagues favourite dining place. He would visit here at least twice a week with his clients or investors or friends. I didn’t go that often, but I did manage to go a couple of times and enjoyed it.

Otto can be found on Cowper Wharf, Woolloomooloo. It’s not a place I go dining very often, they have a couple of restaurants there now. Otto serves Modern Italian cuisine, and the head chef behind this restaurant is Richard Ptacnik, who worked as Sous Chef whilst James Kidman was there.

I was meeting a fellow food lover,K, who currently resides in Hong Kong but was in Melbourne for work and decided that he should do a short trip to Sydney. We started with tagliolini con scampi, capesante e zucchini ($30 / $40) to share. Fresh egg spaghettini with baby scallops, scampi, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, shellfish brood, bottarga and baby basil. The pasta was al dente, the seafood were fresh and cooked to perfection. I love the strong tomato flavours, it was rich, bold and quite tasty.

For mains, I opt for peace spada in crosta di finocchio, carciofi e pancetta ($42) – fennel crusted swordfish with zucchini puree, salad of globe artichoke, shaved fennel, capers, watercress and crispy pancetta. The fish was nicely cooked, it was firm but yet tender. I loved the zucchini puree, all the elements really complemented together, but it didn’t really leave me with a WOW factor.

K couldn’t go past the pancia di mail con purea di pastinaca, pancetta, melee e noci ($40), pork tenderloin wrapped in pancetta with parsnip puree, black pudding, crispy pig’s ear and apple, prune and walnut salsa. Cooked medium rare, the pork tenderloin was tender, the black pudding and parsnip puree a wonderful complement. I love pork and black pudding, but unfortunately, we were both a little underwhelmed. It was nice but nothing spectacular we thought.

I was getting full by this stage, so thought we would share dessert. Gelantina di lampoon ($19), raspberry jelly with caramelised white chocolate mousse, fresh berries, hazelnut praline, roasted white chocolate, cocoa twigs and baby parsley. It was just too pretty to eat and it did taste as good as it looked, better in fact! Probably the highlight for the both of us. It wasn’t rich, quite the opposite really, it was quite light and refreshing. The caramelised white chocolate mousse was divine, all the combination worked, although I would have been happy with a little more hazelnut praline!

Service was good, it was a gorgeous evening, so perfect to eat outdoors. Unfortunately, the food was a little underwhelming, especially the mains. The pasta was a wonderful start, but the dessert was just amazing! I don’t remember being underwhelmed previously but from memory, previous visits have left me stumbling out of the restaurant drunk… so that could be why! Whoops!

Regardless, it was lovely to catch up with K, I look forward to seeing you in Hong Kong soon!

GA’s rating: 6 / 10

Otto Ristorante

Shop 8, 6 Cowper Wharf Rd

Woolloomooloo, NSW 2011

Otto Ristorante on Urbanspoon

1. November 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm

bummer. shame it’s not supposedly what and how u remembered it last to be…..

2. November 7, 2011 at 12:09 am

I always here mixed reactions to this place, but the dessert really does look incredible.

3. November 7, 2011 at 2:18 am

that dessert looks so pretty! shame about the not so great mains

• November 7, 2011 at 6:50 am

hey sugarpuffi, ya really enjoyed the desserts, its a shame when the mains arent that great 😦

4. November 7, 2011 at 5:12 am

Oh yes you know it has been ages since I last visited! I’m sure it has been over 10 years and I almost forget that it’s there! We didn’t really have a great experience when we were there so I guess with so many others nearby we go there.

• November 7, 2011 at 6:51 am

hey lorraine, thats right, at least now i have a record of it being a little underwhelmed! don’t think i will go back anytime soon, unless it is for desserts only 🙂

5. November 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm

that dessert is a masterpiece, I dont think i wanna ruined a masterpiece lol

• November 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

it sure was!!! we sat there taking photos and wondering whether or not we should eat it! lol

6. Allison
    November 8, 2011 at 3:19 am

I did not love it either, very underwhelmed and thought it was overpriced and the service lacking a bit of “umph.” Glad to hear it was not just me! Going to Lotus this weekend after reading all your reviews… can you reco any bars around there to try???

• November 8, 2011 at 7:34 am

it was a bit of a hit and miss, which was a shame really! i remembered it to be so much better! as for bars, there’s the bootleg bar on victoria street, soho bar also on victoria street, LL wine and dine is nearby too from memory. haven’t been to favela but thats on potts point. Hope that helps and hope u enjoy lotus as much as i did!

7. November 9, 2011 at 3:10 am

Bahahahaha everything is so much better when you’re drunk 😉