Home > Japanese, Syd: Darlinghurst, Sydney > Dondon, Darlinghurst

Dondon, Darlinghurst

Located on the busy road of Oxford Street, Dondon can be missed if you don’t know the existence of the restaurant. It’s not very fancy, looks like a rundown hole in wall with plain tables and interior but don’t let that put you off, as it is actually quite good.

I have been told Dondon makes brilliant noodles, the sushi and sashimi are good quality. I took ‘The Mother’ here one Saturday evening, thankfully we came relatively early, by 7.30pm the place was packed.

We started with the fried goyza, slightly crunchy on the outside, this was good but have definitely had better.

I couldn’t go past the pork katsu don ($9.50) – one of my favourite Japanese meals – a bowl of rice topped with deep fried pork cutlet, egg and shallots. The pork was incredibly tender, and I love the egg which was scrambled and drizzled on top of the pork. It was definitely a generous serving, didn’t even manage to eat half the rice!

With it, came miso soup, which had some udon in it.

‘The Mother’ opt for the prawn tempura with udon ($9.50) – he loves tempura, the batter was light and the prawns and vegetables fresh. I couldn’t help but steal the eggplant and sweet potato – yum!

The udon was good, but I definitely preferred my katsudon!

I have had a couple of takeaway also, the unagi don was incredibly rich but delicious. Their handrolls are fresh and reasonably priced. Did also enjoy the teriyaki beef temaki (handrolls). Definitely cheap and deliciously Japanese food. Good value, generous serving and service friendly.

Dondon

80 Oxford St

Darlinghurst, 2010

Dondon on Urbanspoon

1. November 22, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’ve never actually tried fried gyoza…. And it’s been way too long since I had katsu don! 😛

• November 22, 2011 at 11:49 pm

i def prefer the boiled version i think! but the katsudon…. love – perfect for this horrid day in Sydney

2. November 23, 2011 at 12:11 am

I use to come here all time and have the katsu don too. Loved this place for a great cheap eat, must visit again soon.

3. November 23, 2011 at 12:54 am

Shame about the gyoza. They dont look too great. I love the pan fried ones the best!

4. November 23, 2011 at 2:26 am

It’s been years since I’ve eaten here, but I remember it as being really great, cheap food. Pity it’s not my “local” anymore.

5. November 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

ive been eating udon 5 times a week recently haha! the tempura udon looks good!

6. November 23, 2011 at 4:54 am

oh ive been craving jap this place looks awesome

7. November 23, 2011 at 5:29 am

I love katsu don too, whether it’s pork or chicken, and there’s always too much rice with the meat!

8. November 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm

One to keep in mind next time I am working out what to eat when In Darlinghurst.

• November 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

hey bellyrumbles 🙂 ya and it is quite decent and cheap! love it… its becoming my local now

9. November 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This place definitely brings back memories… this is where I had my “unofficial” first date with my now husband of 5 years. Must go back there soon.. =)

• November 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

hey the burgerjoint! thanks for dropping by… aw.. thats so sweet. Ya i really do like this place, its cheap and food is great. will be my ‘local’ katsudon place i think!