Home > Asian, Chinese, Sydney > Fat Buddha, Sydney

Fat Buddha, Sydney

Fat Buddha, is the newest yum cha venue in Sydney which is located on the top level of QVB. It has been open for a few months now, I have heard mix reviews, some loved it and some thought it was just way too pricey, including ‘The Mother’ who went with his work colleagues a few weeks ago.

The décor is very modern, I love the natural light streaming through, the dark-toned wood panelling. It was definitely very shick. It was relatively empty when A and I rocked up at midday on a weekday, we have both been craving yum cha and thought we would try this place.

The prawn dumplings (har gao) were plump, although the pastry I thought was a little too thick and too gooey.

The siu may was excellent, we both enjoyed it.

Like the prawn dumplings, I thought the pastry for the chives and shrimp dumplings (gow choi gau) was thick and a little gooey.

Really enjoyed the chicken feet (fung jeow), the flavours and the smoothness of the skin was just delicious.

Unfortunately the pork dumplings, (xiao long bao) were not the best I have eaten. It wasn’t too bad but again it was the thick pastry that killed it. The soup inside was delicious though, and had the ‘right’ flavours.

The silky rice noodle filled with prawns were also good. Loved the silky, smooth rice noodle. They didn’t have my favourite pan-fried rice noodle rolls with peanut and hoi sin sauce, which was a shame.

For dessert, I couldn’t go past the egg custard tarts (daan taat), was served warm, the top pastry was very flaky and good but the bottom bit was a doughy and disappointing.

There were some really good dish, but overall I think I still prefer my usual, Palace, or East Ocean or Marigold. I did have my yum cha fix, but still a little unsatisfying.

Slightly on the expensive side, but service was friendly and polite.  They even made my lunch date, baby B smile!

Fat Buddha Chinese Restaurant

Level 2, QVB, 455 George Street

Sydney 2000

Fat Buddha Chinese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1. November 24, 2011 at 12:06 am

i went here awhile ago for dinner & didn’t love it

2. November 24, 2011 at 12:14 am

I’ve been thinking about heading over for quite a while seeing as it’s only one block away from me, but can’t manage to get past the duopoly of Palace and Sky Garden. Such a shame that the dumplings here look oversteamed.

3. November 24, 2011 at 2:34 am

Shame the food isn’t that great, hits and misses, as I love the name of this place!

• November 24, 2011 at 3:33 am

Hey Sara… A real shame that’s for sure. So many better and good yum cha places in Sydney!

4. November 24, 2011 at 2:35 am

When I first read the line, Fat Buddha, I was thinking that this is a temple or religious place in Sydney!:) Nice place for dim sum, and agree with you on the decor.
    I am with you on the thick and gooey part of the pastry for dumplings, I never did like those types too, and to me, they tend to spoil the freshness of the ingredients too, what a shame!:(

• November 24, 2011 at 3:35 am

Hey Christy… Thanks for dropping by! Ya agree I don’t like thick and gooey dumplings!

5. November 24, 2011 at 3:04 am

It’s rather expensive here yes, but thank goodness they finally have rice noodle rolls ….

• November 24, 2011 at 3:36 am

Hey Joey… Ya they do have rice noodles. Don’t think they had the bbq pork rice noodles. So weird. Don’t think I will be back!

6. November 24, 2011 at 7:27 am

I had high expectations given it was in the QVB! But so many people have come back with bad reviews, not even sure I want to go :/ unless someone else was paying haha

7. SJ
    November 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

So not going here…. thanks for the review!

8. November 25, 2011 at 12:08 am

I think I would like to eat here just for the novelty of eating Yum Cha at the QVB.

9. November 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm

very disappointed with this place…. looks promising, but a huge let down. I guess after having the best yum cha @ Tim Ho Wan in HK, no other place can compare…

• November 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm

hey theburgerjoint… totally agree! so disappointing and a tad on the exy side also…

10. November 27, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Such a shame about the pastry – its so important hey!