Home > Asian, Chinese, Syd: Haymarket, Sydney > Uighur Cuisine, Haymarket

Uighur Cuisine, Haymarket

I have no idea what type of cuisine ‘Uighur’ cuisine is. I have walked past this restaurant many times and always wondered. According to Wikipedia, Uighur are a ‘Turkic ethic group living in Eastern and Central Asia. The largest community of Uighur outside Xinjang in China is in Taoyan County, in south-central Hunan province’. They also live in neighbouring Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Uzbekistan. Many Uyghurs also live in Turkey.

You are immediately hit by the aroma of strong spices upon entering the restaurant. It was decorated with painting, photos, and musical instruments, but it still didn’t give me any idea of  where / what ‘Uighur’ is.

The menu had some unfamiliar dishes, but I did notice some ‘Chinese’ influence, like dumplings, noodles and vegetables. I also noticed there were a lot of lamb on the menu – not my strong point but we thought we would try one of the dumplings, which was filled with lamb.

We started with Tawa manta ($9.80) – fried dumplings with lamb. I must admit, they were absolutely delicious! It didn’t have a strong lamb taste at all, it tasted like beef, and I couldn’t help but pop these babies into my mouth. Be careful though, as the juices inside were quite hot.

I really enjoyed the Kuda tuhum kormisi ($12) – stir fried egg and leek, the combination really worked.

‘The Mother’ wanted to try Kala gushi yangyu kormisi ($13.80) – stir fried beef with potato. Both the beef and potatoes were tender, but it didn’t quite hit the spot like the dumplings. It was nice but nothing special I thought.

The most let down was the Nan ($3.50) – bread. I think we were both expecting it to be a naan, like the ones in Indian restaurant. Alas, this was thicker, heavier and more focaccia like.

Overall, the food was quite tasty and reasonably priced. I did notice a lot of people ordering the lamb skewers, which was their specialty, but considering my love for lamb, I am not sure if I would be able to finish a whole skewer.

Service minimal, it was good to try something different, and those dumplings were definitely tasty.

GA’s ratings: 6.5 / 10

Uighur Cuisine

Shop 1/8 Dixon Street

Sydney, 2000

Uighur Cuisine on Urbanspoon

1. bladdamasta
    January 9, 2012 at 12:04 am

I tried Turpan in Kensington a year ago and really enjoyed it. It’s a different experience, but if you don’t like lamb it can be limiting.

• January 10, 2012 at 12:45 am

hi there, thanks for dropping by! oo i haven’t tried Turpan, might give it ago! i am not a massive fan of lamb, but more than happy to try it. might go with a group of people so i can try more 🙂

2. January 9, 2012 at 4:33 am

This places has always intrigued me too. I’ve heard good things about their dumpligs (great dumpling shot by the way).

3. January 10, 2012 at 1:35 am

i used to go here all the time. i love to dip the nan in the sauce. oh god.

4. January 11, 2012 at 12:04 am

If you enjoyed yourself here, you’ll probably like KungFu Ramen and the newest version of the place at 800 George St, which is now called Chinese Noodle Bar. They’d be my pick for Western Chinese, Xi’an, Uighur style flavours including delicious thick chewy noodles with lots of chilli. Kungfu Ramen probably has the best lamb skewers in Sydney too. Better than Turpan (which seems to be perennially ‘run out’ of lamb skewers or something).

Oh and PS. I also nggak boleh tahan lamb but the yangrou chuan at these places is actually delicious and easy for us lamb-o-phobes to tolerate (and enjoy!).

• January 11, 2012 at 3:34 am

hey adam 🙂 thanks for droppin gby! i have been to Chinese Noodle bar, will definitely go back! havent been to kungfu ramen though.

ya the lamb at Uighur Cuisine was surprisingly ok.. so i would def have it again!

5. January 11, 2012 at 3:55 am

Just by simply looking at this I can say they are the best available in that place and reminded me of Indian restaurant Holmes Chapel that I can say one of the best to offer me onion bahji and kurmas.

6. February 28, 2013 at 12:15 am

Hi

I was wondering if you know of any good Uigher restaurants in Hong Kong??