Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > Reuben Hills, Surry Hills

Reuben Hills, Surry Hills

Reuben Hills, the new café in Surry Hills that just opened at the beginning of this year. It never cease to amaze me how many cafés are in Surry Hills, good for me I guess, more choices and more variety! The food here is by Megan McCulloch, who has worked with Heston Blumenthal at the Hinds Head and Royal Ascot. The menu is simple and limited I thought, one page with about a dozen choices.

Located on Albion Street, the café is sleek and clean – I love the natural light which comes from the entrance and the back. The place was packed when we rocked up for brunch on Sunday but thankfully we didn’t have to wait for long for a table.

The menu has a bit of a Mexican twist to it, I couldn’t go past the balaeda, a wheat flour tortilla folded in half and filled with pimento-spiced pulled pork chimol and onion ($9). There are two varieties, and the other is with eggs, queso fresco and black beans.

The tortilla was soft and the pulled pork was tender, shredded with a hint of spice. The chimol, a simple salsa of tomato, coriander and lime was a wonderful complement. I really did enjoy my dish and was perfect for brunch!

‘The Mother’ on the other hand wasn’t a huge fan of the menu. He thought it was too ‘weird’ – but he is a simple boy. He opted for the baked beef empanadas, pico de gallo ($9). The beef empanadas were a little dry, even the salsa fresca, which was made from chopped tomato, white onions, and chili didn’t help.

I came back a couple of days later with a friend, S, started with the flat white and the coffee was excellent. It was incredibly smooth and way too easy to drink.

We both opt for the Reuben Sandwich ($15) – wagyu salt brisket, pickled slaw, melted manchego and horseradish cream.

It’s not your typical Reuben – it doesn’t have sauerkraut which I love, but the slow-cooked wagyu brisket was incredibly tasty and absolutely delicious. It is a slightly smaller serving, but it did hit the spot and a ‘good’ enough alternative.

S ordered the salted caramel milkshake – it was incredibly sweet but mind-blowingly good at the same time. I probably couldn’t finish the whole thing but glad I definitely tried it.

Reuben hills offer coffee cuppings weekly Friday 10am – it is some serious espresso business.

I definitely wouldn’t mind trying the baked eggs, the ceviche or even the Doggs breakfast – ice cream ‘sandwich’ with salted caramel! It does get busy, so be prepared to wait for 15 – 20 mins during peak hours. Service friendly and efficient, the coffee is definitely worth coming back for.

Reuben Hills

61 Albion Street

Surry Hills 2012

Reuben Hills on Urbanspoon

1. January 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

wow everything looks great! ooo mexican twist~ i never really had mexican food, lol btw, i also really like the name of your blog! i LOLed a bit when i saw the name! hehe

• January 11, 2012 at 3:34 am

hey there 🙂 thanks for dropping by! the milkshake is really sweet but really nice! definitely worth trying!

2. January 11, 2012 at 1:31 am

That milkshake sounds pretty epic – will go for that alone!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:35 am

hey tina, definitely worth coming for the milkshake! they had another one… from memory it was black sesame and wattle seed or something like that.

3. January 11, 2012 at 3:19 am

Another Surry Hills cafe? LOL

4. January 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

I like the look of the Rueben-ish like sandwich. Sounds like a new nice spot to duck into for a lunch break soon. I wonder how quickly this place fills up on a weekday…

• January 11, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Hey dumpling girl, the Reuben-ish sandwich was pretty good! it would be perfect if they had sauerkraut in it! heheheh on monday when i went it wasnt too bad, but it was smack bang at midday!

5. January 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love the Mexican twist, I hope they open for Sunday breakfast!

• January 11, 2012 at 11:07 pm

hey Sara, they are open on Sunday.. it does get busy on the weekend though!

6. January 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’m drooling over all this awesomeness! Wagyu brisket in a reuben & salted caramel milkshake…whoa!!!! Reuben Hills, here I come!

7. January 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I’m still dreaming of that brisket in the Reuben. Loved it!

8. January 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Went to Rueben Hill today, it was deliciouso …..
    485 .. you’ve been replaced

9. Stacey
    March 19, 2012 at 3:33 am

Well I was really looking forward to trying this out, we went on Sunday with some friends for breakfast and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. I am pregnant and alot of the breakfast choices I am unable to eat during pregnancy – which is fine as I don’t expect all menus to cater for us pregnant ladies, but when I asked if I could get the balaela with just scrambled egg they said no. I then asked if I could have the avocado on toast with some egg on the side they said no.. The waitress said I cannot change anything on the menu. Very disappointing that couldn’t be slightly flexible… wont go back.

• March 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

oh thats a shame 😦 but i know some cafe’s just arent very flexible! i went when i was pregnant too, had the pork belada one visit and another visit i had the eggs and asked them to cook it a little longer and they were ok with it. it is a shame that they wouldnt alter it 😦