Home > American, Burgers, Diner, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > Jazz City Diner, Surry Hills

Jazz City Diner, Surry Hills

Jazz city diner was opened in December 2010, a New Orleans-inspired burger joint. The diner is small but yet cozy, I love the obligatory booths, the retro looking tables and chairs. The jazz posters, the mini screens at each booth playing old jazz clips gave it a really nice touch.

I was catching up with one of my dearest friend, M for lunch and she suggested this place which is located on the busy street of Crown street. As the name suggests, the menu had a nice American touch to it, burgers, and lots of it, ribs, chicken and waffles and desserts! I recall eating so many burgers in America! Trying to figure out what was the best.

We both couldn’t resist getting a float – soda and ice cream. I had the lime float, whilst M had the root beer float. It brought back to my childhood.

The chicken and waffles sounded interesting but wrong at the same time – belgium waffle, southern fried chicken pieces. But we were here for burgers, so opt for egg and bacon burger ($16) – ground beef patty, egg over easy, smoked bacon, tomato, mayo and lettuce, which was served with sweet potato fries.

The burger was surprisingly good – tender beef patty, the bacon cooked to perfection and who can say no to egg on a burger? It was a simple burger, no wagyu meet, or brioche bun, but it was tasty.

The sweet potato fries though were excellent! Crunchy but yet soft on the inside. Diners can substitute the sweet potato fries for onion rings for an extra $3.

M on the other hand ordered the Southern fried chicken burger ($16) – fried chicken burger with tabasco mayo, corn salsa, lettuce and tomatoes.

I loved the crunchiness of the fried chicken, and the corn salsa, it was a little messy to eat though, the corn kept falling out of the burger, but it was good, she definitely enjoyed it more than the bacon and egg burger.

Unfortunately, we were both too full for dessert, but I was told that the banana cream pie is a must order! NEXT time! We asked if they do take away, and thankfully they do! YAY!

Service was friendly, and welcoming. I thought the burgers were tasty, I actually do prefer them too Grill’d. Is it the best burger in Sydney? Unfortunately not, but I wouldn’t hesitate coming back to try their other burgers.

Jazz City Diner

238 Crown St

Surry Hills 2010

Jazz City Diner on Urbanspoon

1. January 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I really don’t like Grill’d. This looks much better!! Been wanting to try the burgers here for a while now. The sweet potato fries look divine!

• January 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm

hey sara, agree. I’m not a massive fan of grill’d either. Try here, its pretty good!

2. January 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Like the burgers, loved the pie but I seem to remember the floats being ridiculously expensive…

3. January 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

LOL, i’m so coming here for the chicken & waffles!

• January 15, 2012 at 11:59 pm

lol i may have to come back and try the chicken and waffles! im intrigued now!

4. January 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I remember seeing Chicken and Waffles on a menu while travelling through Mississippi. I also passed and went for a burger. Think I’m going to have to give it a go here though. 10 million overweight southerners can’t be wrong, can they?

• January 16, 2012 at 12:00 am

hey smokeyosbbq – you are right! can’t be wrong… i am going to give it go next time i think!

5. January 16, 2012 at 12:54 am

Lime Spiders (as we call them on Oz) are so good! I’ve been wanting to try this place for AGES!

• January 16, 2012 at 5:57 am

the lime spiders were great!!!! uber sweet but nice! definitely worth checking out miss piggy!

6. January 16, 2012 at 4:14 am

of course we know where to find the best burgers in Sydney…*wink wink*….lol
    We went there for lunch last week…
    Love love love the chicken n waffles (had it 3 times in 2 weeks… bit much?) and banana cream pie (very generous portion), the chicken wing is quite good too.
    I like sweet and salty together, but my husband thought it was a bit weird..

• January 16, 2012 at 5:57 am

hey theburgerjoint – think i may have to go back for the chicken and waffles! everyone has raved about it!

7. Allison
    January 16, 2012 at 4:32 am

The surprise comments and reactions to chicken and waffles made me laugh a little. I guess it is all what you grow up with. I am a Southerner(who is not obese, although I did find the comment a bit offensive and extremely uneducated) and I love chicken and waffles, it is a specialty of the South. If done right you will love it! There are whole restaurants in the States dedicated to just those two items. I am intrigued to check this place out.

• January 16, 2012 at 5:58 am

heya ๐Ÿ™‚ hopefully you are not too offended! I am keen to try the chicken and waffles though – everyone has raved about it!

• January 16, 2012 at 7:17 am

My apologies, there was no intent to offend. It was said in jest. My family are from Pensacola. And it was my most recent trip for Thanksgiving that I was referring too. I loved every ounce of food we ate there…excluding a trip to Wendy’s. I could not be any more in love with Southern style barbecue or appreciate where it comes from.

8. January 16, 2012 at 4:56 am

It’s great there I agree and I like their beef burgers. We really liked the chicken and waffles too-mmm so good! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. January 16, 2012 at 5:01 am

i really wanna try the chicken and waffles but the other burgers look good too. need to make more trips here

10. January 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

Yum! I wanna try the chicken and waffles, I reckon it’d work…

11. January 18, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I have driven past this place a few times now and is on my ‘to list’, I am going to have to give the chicken and waffles a go.

12. January 19, 2012 at 6:10 am

omg ci! you should take me here when i come back to Sydney!
    xo