Home > Italian, Pizza, Sydney > Cafe Sopra, Sydney

Cafe Sopra, Sydney

I was pleasantly surprised and somewhat glad when I found out that Café Sopra has opened in the city! This will be their fourth Cafe Sopra in Sydney. I have been to both Potts Point and Waterloo and really enjoyed the food.

Café Sopra recently opened on Bridge Street, opposite the ASX and underneath the Steersons steakhouse. It wasn’t hard to find, the queue was already out the door when I was there at 11.55am to meet my favourite (well one and only) brother, F, for lunch.

We managed to score a table by the bar, which was uber cool but what was annoying was seeing the blackboard menu! I didn’t even get a chance to take a photo of it as there were so many people. The menu heavily features pasta so if pasta is not your thing, then this is not the place for you. I left the ordering to my brother, one pasta, and one salad and maybe zucchini flowers.

We started with the zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese and topped with grated parmesan. Not the best looking zucchini flowers I have seen, but these were absolutely delicious, batter was thin and crispy, and the creamy cheese filing was absolutely delightful. F wanted another serving, unfortunately they ran out already!

F wanted a serve of garlic bread also.

F couldn’t go past the fettuccini with meatballs – three generous servings of meatballs which were incredibly tender. The fettuccini was al dente with a hint of lemon, it was delicious but I think F can proudly say that there wasn’t enough fettuccini!

The pickled beetroot with pancetta, gorgonzola and rosemary salad was exactly what I needed to offset the pasta. You can’t tell in the photos but underneath the mountain of lettuce there are actually soft pickled beetroot, which I loved! The pancetta was crunchy and the gorgonzola really gave it a nice touch.

Unfortunately we were both SO full that we couldn’t fit any dessert. The banoffee pie is my favourite but seriously could not fit anything else after all the food.

Service was friendly, food was simple but definitely tasty. The pizzas looked awesome, will definitely come back for those and to try their other pasta dishes. Come early to avoid the queues but be prepared to wait if it is busy. Great to have Café Sopra in the city, pity they don’t take reservations!

GA’s ratings: 7.5/ 10

Café Sopra

11 Bridge Street

Sydney 2000

Café Sopra on Urbanspoon

Categories: Italian, Pizza, Sydney Tags: , ,
  1. January 25, 2012 at 12:53 am

Hello meatballs! Love that there’s a Sopra in the city – yay for pasta lunches!

• January 25, 2012 at 2:51 am

hi Tina, totally agree!!! loving the fact that i can get ‘good’ pasta in the city 🙂

2. January 25, 2012 at 2:53 am

That salad looks amazing! Much better than a classic garden or Greek salad!

3. January 25, 2012 at 8:53 am

If only I worked in the city…this place looks perfect for meeting up with friends (or favourite brothers even).

• January 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

lol yes miss piggy, this place is perfect for meeting up with our favourite brothers 🙂

4. January 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

we just went too and it was fantastic! loved their crisp polenta with gorgonzola.

5. Kiki
    January 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

the meatballs look huge! oh and the salad… amazing 🙂

6. January 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

This is exactly what I need for lunch on a daily basis!
    Miss this type of proper cafe food : ) And so CASUALLLLL….

Wonder if you’ll feel the same when you arrive back here soon ! Happy Chinese New Years too! K.

• January 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

hey K 🙂 I think i am going to miss places like this in HK! it just doesnt exists!!! hoping i will get all my fix when i am here and wont miss it too much! happy chinese new year to you too… see you soon 🙂

7. thangngo
    January 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Wow, no room for dessert?! What’s going on? lol 🙂

• January 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm

hey thang 🙂 I KNOW!!! dont know what is going on, would have definitely loved some dessert!

8. January 28, 2012 at 5:53 am

Looks exactly like the food at Waterloo! Excellent stuff that they’ve opened another one in the city for more people to sample their food.

9. February 4, 2012 at 11:11 am

You need to have the polenta with gorgonzola and mushrooms, my absolute favourite dish at Sopra. Makes me weak at the knees every time I eat it.

• February 5, 2012 at 6:00 am

thinking of heading back there soon so will def try the polenta with gorgonzola and mushrooms! thanks 🙂