Home > Asian, Malaysian, Syd: Haymarket, Sydney > Petaling Street, Haymarket

Petaling Street, Haymarket

I first noticed Petaling Street whilst I was in Melbourne last Christmas. We didn’t try but it did look good and when I heard they have opened in Sydney I couldn’t wait to try. There are so many Malaysian restaurant opening the last couple of months, we are really spoilt for choice but are they all good is the question?

There are two levels to Petaling Street, street level, which are kitchen and some seated areas, and downstairs, bigger and more seating area. I was catching up T and suggested this place. Petaling Street can be found on George Street, near China Town, opposite Pasteur. I think from memory, it used to be a Vietnamese Restaurant, but I can’t remember the name of it.

We started with the roti which was served with curry ($10.80). It was definitely disappointing, definitely NOT their speciality. I thought maybe it was pre-packaged, it wasn’t fluffy or crispy or even tasty. Mamak’s roti is infinitely better and Jackie M, definitely better!

Nasi lemak ($8.00) – traditional hawker type coconut flavoured rice served with sambal, peanut, cucumber, egg and ikan ibis. It was good but I think Jackie M’s is still definitely better.

T couldn’t go past the mamak mee goreng ($10.50), large serving of Malaysian hawker spicy egg noodles with prawn, chicken, bean curd and bean shoots. I thought this was ordinary, the sauce was too thick and sickly and albeit spicy was not the best mee goreng I have tasted. I thought the indo mie goreng was DEFINITELY better!

They had a very limited Malaysian dessert menu. They did have a menu for other desserts though – by other I mean more Western. We had waffles which were served with green tea and black sesame ice cream and I have to say… it was good! Could potentially be the highlight of the evening for me!

I have heard that the laksa and CKT is very good here, so would definitely have to try it out. What we ordered wasn’t the best I thought, the roti at $10.80 was definitely expensive and ordinary. The nasi lemak was good but I have definitely had better.

My favourite Malaysian restaurant would still have to be Jackie M! However, in saying that, I am keen to try their Asam Laksa though.

GA’s ratings: 5.5 / 10

Petaling Street

760 George Street

Haymarket 2000

Petaling Street: Malaysian Hawker Food on Urbanspoon

1. February 17, 2012 at 2:03 am

Understandable that the dessert was the highlight. It looks fab 🙂

2. February 17, 2012 at 2:53 am

ok, one less to worry about… will put on the ‘let us not bother’ list… what were they thinking with their roti pricing?

3. February 17, 2012 at 3:05 am

That roti does look tres ordinary ….

• February 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

@diningwithastud: ya i was hoping for some ice campur or something but none alas!
      @joey: the roti was definitely tres ordinary! oh wells…
      @kewpie: i know right? $10 for roti with curry? geez

4. February 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

asam laksa is worth trying. also chicken rice and CKT are worthy.

• February 24, 2012 at 2:30 am

thanks Simon, will definitely try the asam laksa and the CKT! i love a good CKT

5. rosgl
    February 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’ve started going to Petaling Street (haymarket) restaurant for lunch. BUT NO MORE!!!!

VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Their staff sat me down and took my order
    She left my table and when she came back she moved me to another seat.
    I sat there WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING for my food to arrive. I finally left and at the check out, I told the staff that my food never arrived. The girl there said that she did not put my order through… WHICH MEANS I WAS WAITING & WAITING & WAITING & WAITING & WAITING & WAITING wasting my lunch break for nothing. I GOT NO APPOLOGY and thanks to Petaling Street staff I went back to work with an empty stomach. I did not realise I’m suppose to run after every single staff there and tell them my order and hope it will get passed down to the kitchen!!! VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! IF YOU WANT FOOD THERE, TELL EVERY SINGLE STAFF THERE YOUR ORDER OR YOU WILL SPEND YOUR TIME WAITING FOR NOTHING!!!!