Home > Breakfast, Cafe, Syd: Alexandria, Sydney > Bread and Circus, Alexandria

Bread and Circus, Alexandria

I really love the warehouse café feel, really does remind me of NYC. Bread and circus is hidden away in the industrial suburb of Alexandria, behind Campos Coffee. Everything is organically and locally sourced, pending on what’s on offer, hence the daily menu.

There’s an open cooking area, you order at the counter before sitting and then food will then prepared and delivered to you. The atmosphere and vibe is very casual, communal wooden tables, relaxed space and plenty of sunshine which I love.

The menu is vast, they serve breakfast all day, and for lunch, there’s soup, salad plates and sandwich boxes which are ready-to-go or for eat-in.

I couldn’t go past the sandwich boxes (organic sandwich fillings with fresh cut slices of sourdough and salady side things), mustard mad biodynamic egg salad with avocado and tomato ($13). The egg salad was deliciously creamy with a hint of mustard, the avocado and tomato wonderfully fresh. I would probably have preferred the whole thing assembled but it was definitely tasty.

The salads on offer that day were:

• balsamic roast capsicum kipfler & rosemary w/ kalamata olive & goats feta
  • chardonnay braised fennel & leek in parsley & thyme
  • fresh heirloom olive-oil sea salt tomato under basil oil
  • baked eggplants w/ coriander & biodynamic yoghurt baba ghanoush
  • spelt couscous w/ fresh fig & honey orange blossom & thyme blue cheese

You can choose one or all, half plate ($14), regular plate ($16), sharing plate ($25) and take away ($14).

The spelt couscous with fresh fig and honey orange blossom and thyme blue cheese sounded interesting so thought I’d get a half plate ($14) and what a generous serving it was! Unfortunately I didn’t finish all of this so took this home and this made a wonderful salad with roast chicken that evening.

E also had the couscous with fresh fig salad and baked eggplants with coriander and biodynamic yoghurt baba ghanoush.

With a side of halloumi ($6)

The baked eggplants were cooked to perfection. I must admit, the salad here is fantastic! I didn’t try the others, but I am sure it would be just as good!

Coffee is not served here, however there are fresh juices, including coconut and wonderful tea on offer. I did notice a lot of people ordering the ‘purple’ drink and it was the daily smoothie – it looked fab! Will definitely try that next time.

Service was definitely friendly, and the café is definitely child friendly!

Very similar to Kitchen by Mike, the warehouse feel, the daily menu. I can’t remember which one opened first, but I do prefer Kitchen by Mike slightly better. Thought the atmosphere and the food there was slightly better.

Bread and Circus

21 Fountain Street

Alexandria 2015

Bread & Circus on Urbanspoon

1. chocolatesuze
    March 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm

i have issues with couscous but hot damn i really want to try the couscous with fig and blue cheese!

• March 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

hey chocolatesuze, really? i love couscous! this is good – think you will like it, the blue cheese, and figggssssss! yum!

2. March 19, 2012 at 12:24 am

I love the random dinnerware. The salads look great

3. March 19, 2012 at 1:41 am

I really want to try this place, really enjoyed Mike’s too. Love the concept and the couscous with figs salad looks divine.

4. March 19, 2012 at 3:19 am

I’ve heard the co-owner of this cafe is a former food blogger. Odd they don’t serve coffee but again I read that they allow you to bring your own in from Campos which must be close by. Food looks OMG good.

• March 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

hey miss piggy! oh i didnt know the co-owner is a former food blogger! food looks good, definitely worth the visit!

• March 21, 2012 at 12:25 am

Don Campos is right inside the same complex 🙂

5. March 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

It all looks so healthy and delicious too! Will need to bring mum here 🙂

6. March 20, 2012 at 4:58 am

Everything looks so lovely and fresh here! I love that fig salad and it is a generous serve!

• March 20, 2012 at 5:46 am

definitely a generous serve! glad i got to take it home and had it for dinner!

7. March 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

Unassembled sandwich… interesting. Was it messy?

8. wellnesswriter
    March 25, 2012 at 3:55 am

It is with huge disappointment and a heavy stomach that I post this. What I thought would be a wonderful brunch was undermined by incredibly slow service and just plain bad food.

For the price paid ($18 for scrambled eggs on toast), you’d hope for something pretty out of the box. Judging by the crowds I felt sure we’d get it. When we were told the wait time on breakfast was 30 minutes (we ordered at 11am after standing in line for 10 minutes) we said we were happy to wait. At midday we asked how much longer it might be and were brought a complimentary muffin…an ill omen. And it wasn’t like it was a place you could spread out with a paper, or even an iPad and happily while away the hours. Is was prison-style crowded.

At 12:30, two of our four items came. One eggs, one pancakes. At 12:40 one more pancakes came. When we asked were the other eggs were and were brought another muffin, being told it had been forgotten and they were making it straight away, we sent the muffin away and cancelled the order. We were refunded for one of the meals…Just the one.

The buckwheat pancakes were heavy, but not just a “could be fluffier” kind of heavy. Think boat anchor. And they were uncooked in the middle. And really looked kind of like they’d been vomited on. Seriously.

I love the concept of this place, but I don’t plan on wasting my time going there again.

• March 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

hey wellness writer, thanks for dropping by! that’s poor form really – i do hope that it does get better, as the place does get extremely busy. its a shame… i really do like the concept of the place also