Home > Asian, Chinese, Sydney > Spicy Sichuan, Sydney

Spicy Sichuan, Sydney

Ever since ‘The Mother’ had his first encounter of Sichuan food, he truly can’t get enough of it! There is one dish that he loves, and that’s the fish fillet swimming in a pool of chili, peppercorn and lots of it! I don’t love the numbing effect so much but like ‘The Mother’, I truly do enjoy a good spicy Sichuan cuisine.

I have seen this place as I walk home, the place is always busy with people queuing and waiting to get in. Spicy Sichuan can be found on Cunningham Street, just off Goulburn Street – you can’t miss it, there are usually a group of people queuing to go inside. There are two levels, ground level is hot pot, which we didn’t want, and a la carte which is upstairs. There was a little bit of a mix up with our reservations but after about 5 – 10 minutes, we were seated and looking forward to what was to come.

We thought we would all pick a dish, ‘The Mother’ knew exactly what we wanted – the only reason why we came here for. The MiL and BiL aren’t very good with spicy food so we made sure that we had a mix of both.

We started with the ling fish filled with vegetable in chili oil ($29.80). OMG – look at the redness of the bowl – so many chili and so many peppercorn for that numbing effect.

The fish fillets were incredibly tender, and if you carefully pick out the peppercorn it is not that spicy at all! But what would be the fun of that right? It was spicy, tiggly numbing spicy but it was good!

Next, the tea smoked duck (whole $36) – this was fantastic. It had a distinct smoked flavour and aroma and was incredibly succulent. It was a favourite amongst the diners.

I was craving dumplings so opt for the northern China dumplings with meat and vegetables, ($9.80 for 12) and this totally hit the spot! It was boiled or braised, and wow – I could not stop but pop these babies in my mouth one after the other. Definitely worth trying.

Fried buns with sesame on top ($8 for 6 pieces) were also good. It didn’t have any hazardous soup inside but slightly pan friend and sprinkled with sesame seeds on top. It was good.

Last but not least, this came out last and extremely slow oddly, was the fried vermicelli with XO sauce. I thought this was a little ordinary. Fried vermicelli cooked in XO sauce and topped with two prawns. I was full by this stage so this was so so.

Service was a little slow at times, but we didn’t have to wait too long for food or tea or drinks. My favourite dish was definitely the fish fillets and the dumplings. The duck was also good.

‘The Mother’ and I are definitely keen to try their other spicy dishes.

GA’s ratings: 7.5 / 10

Spicy Sichuan

2 Cunningham Street

Sydney, NSW 2000

Spicy Sichuan Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Categories: Asian, Chinese, Sydney Tags: , ,
  1. foodiepop
    April 2, 2012 at 1:25 am

I’m often wary of Sichuan food because of the spiciness but that tea-smoked duck sure looks great!

• April 2, 2012 at 3:58 am

hey foodiepop – there are a lot of non-spicy dish on the menu, so you should be ok with this one! the dumplings weren’t spicy at all and neither was the tea-smoked duck!

2. April 2, 2012 at 3:53 am

We were just there for dinner last night. Didn’t try the fish, looked good though, must order next time. Can’t wait to try the hot pot too, when it’s a bit cooler.
    Read your other posts re: US, we’re thinking of going (east coast) in August, is NYC baby friendly?
    PS: you’re brave to travel so far when you’re pregnant, only went to Bali for a mini babymoon in my 26th week, didnt enjoy it one bit!!

• April 2, 2012 at 4:02 am

hey Elisa.. i really like the fish dish – its really good! like you – i cant wait to try the hot pot – love hot pot!

i think NYC is baby friendly – friends have traveled to NYC with bubs and kids.
      I dont know if its brave or stupidity! it was mainly for work… feet were swollen and hard to walk but thankfully cabs weren’t too exy so took a cab every where! food was good though, shopping not so good though… will definitely be back once bub is out so i can shop more!

• April 2, 2012 at 4:19 am

Hopefully you don’t have much longer to go with your pregnancy. The last 3 weeks of mine, was a torture, in the end I told my OB :”take her out now!!” And how time flies, she will be one next week.

• April 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hey Elisa – congrats! wow… i am due on the 14th April – think she will be early though… thats just my thoughts! hope motherhood is treating you well 🙂

3. April 2, 2012 at 4:13 am

Those pan fried buns look delicious!!

4. April 2, 2012 at 8:10 am

what a coincidence… Charlotte was born on the 14th April. She was 1 week early. Enjoy the crazy ride ahead of you, nothing quite like it. You must post a photo on your blog once she arrives. Congrats again.

• April 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

oh wow! that is a coincidence! can’t believe you went to spicy sichuan with a one week old baby! i’d be too scared! thanks and congrats to you too!

5. April 3, 2012 at 6:35 am

omg i love the feiteng fish!