Home > Cafe, Coffee, Syd: Marrickville, Sydney > Cornersmith, Marrickville

Cornersmith, Marrickville

I have heard wonderful things about Cornersmith. It took a while to get there, but finally one Saturday morning, ‘The Mother’ and I were catching up with one of our friends, M, and I suggested this place. The place was packed on Saturday at 10.30am – they have a self-managed queue system. Write your name and the number of people on the board that’s hung on the door and wait. It took us a good 30 – 35 minutes to be seated. ‘The Mother’ is not fond of waiting, but considering there were no other cafes nearby and he had M to keep him company, he didn’t complain so much! Not that he is a complainer – just that he doesn’t like waiting much!

The menu which was written on the board was vast! I couldn’t decide what I wanted, as everything sounded wonderful. The bircher muesli, the eggs, the sandwiches – I really could have ordered one of each!

I couldn’t go past the poached eggs on toast with red pepper relish ($9) with a side of avocado ($4). Perfectly poached egg, the avocado and red pepper relish fresh and absolutely tasty all served with a sour dough bread drizzled with olive oil. It was the perfect breakfast that I needed that day.

‘The Mother’ loved his poached egg, garlic aioli, rocket, free range ham and red pepper relish ($10). He didn’t exactly offer me any, but he was going to lick the plate if the waitress didn’t take the plate away. He said the serving was a tad small but everything was so fresh and complemented each other well.

M had the apple bircher with natural yogurt, plum compote and poached pear ($10) – I almost ordered this and it looked as good as it tasted. It was divine! The apple bircher was soaked perfectly, the plum compote and poached pear wonderful complement. I could happily eat this on a daily basis!

Cornersmith can be found on the busy street of Illawarra Road and it is very close to Marrickville station and a couple of shops down form PhD. I didn’t get to try the coffee, as I am still on a coffee ban, but I am a definite fan of the food and the vibe. Getting a table for more than two is a bit of a pain I thought – those that came in twos got seated quicker.  As whether or not its baby friendly? It’s tight, the place is small and if you have a massive pram it could ‘get in the way’ but doable.

The menu is simple. They have many things made on site – honey, pickles, chutneys and jam. I bought a muffin to take on the go, for the movies and I have to say it was one the fluffiest, and nicest muffin I have had – I can’t remember what it was sorry! But it was good.

Would happily come back – if it was closer I would be there right now!

Cornersmith

314 Illawarra Road

Marrickville NSW 2204

Cornersmith on Urbanspoon

1. jasminwall
    April 8, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I’ve had so many people tell me to go to Cornerstone, and yet, Marrickville is a bit out of the way in the morning. Living across the road from Deus Cafe makes it hard for me to find the energy to go anywhere else in the morning, also a 30 minute wait does not sound fun.

But…those eggs look wonderful.

2. April 9, 2012 at 1:15 am

HI -5! I can never go past a poached egg for breakfast either!

3. minibites
    April 9, 2012 at 6:17 am

this place is always so busy when we drive by :(( might have to take a day off to actually go eat here haha!

4. Lau
    April 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’ve only been once, but I really liked Cornersmith. I love the whole diy, made-from-scratch ethos as well, seems to be the thing this year.

• April 14, 2012 at 3:36 am

hey lau – so do i! i hv only been once but definitely keen to go back! have to go early though…

5. Jamie
    April 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I’ve been to Cornersmith a few times and I love it! Menu changes every few days and uses the freshest ingredients. Food and coffee are excellent.
    Btw, you and your friend(s) quite often have bircher, which cafe do you reckon does the best one?

• April 20, 2012 at 4:39 am

Hey Jamie – thanks for dropping by! it depends on how you like your bircher muesli – some likes it extremely soggy, ie lots of liquids and some doesnt. i do like the one at Cornersmith, the one at fernside was pretty good, sur bourke also not bad, bills i like (although a little exy) but i think my fav is at cafe Belgenny! i havent been for a while so dont know if standard has gone down but it is my favourite.

6. Jenomatic
    January 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

To my delight I had experienced Cornersmith this morning. It’s quite surprising that it’s tucked away on Illawarra Rd. The staff are friendly and efficent. The brekky menu is not your average bacon and eggs. I ate the poached egg with chickpeas, eggplant and salad greens. The taste was amazing and filling. Definately invite everyone to check this place out. Get in early because it gets packed.

• January 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm

hey @jenomatic – i really like the cornersmith and yes you are right, you hv to get there early to beat the weekend morning rush!