Home > Modern Australian, Pub, Syd: Surry Hills, Sydney > 4Fourteen, Surry Hills

4Fourteen, Surry Hills

4Fourteen is the new venture by Colin Fassnidge who also owns Four in Hand and the Paddington Arms. I have been waiting patiently for this new restaurant to open and finally on opening night, I ‘dragged’ my eating partner in crime, S to dinner.

4Fourteen is located on the corner of Bourke and Fitzroy, where the old Le Pain Quotidien used to be. It has been ‘a long time in the making’ says Colin and the fit out is absolutely fantastic – a cross between Four in Hand and Paddington Arms. Its spacious, lots of seats and also bar seats near the kitchen where you can see the chef in action – where S and I sat.

We weren’t sure what to expect in terms of food, it was opening night after all and no one has seen a menu. But I knew food will be fantastic and Four in Hand is one of my favourite restaurants in Sydney. The menu vast, I’m sure there will be something for everyone, it ranged from seafood, meat, salads and dessert.

Both our eyes were drawn to ‘suckling pig’ and knew we had to get it! No doubt about it. Another one that caught our eye was ‘Irish Breakfast’ – we weren’t sure what that was, so asked Richie, one of the Chef and as soon as he described it, we both said yes!

We started with complimentary chicken wings, parfait, crispy tortilla and quince chutney (usually $7.50 for 4) and they were delicious. Crispy tortilla, the chicken wings were cooked to perfection, crispy and tender and the sweet quince chutney was a wonderful addition!

The Irish Breakfast ($22), consisted of duck egg with prosciutto, chorizo and black pudding. The duck egg was creamy and incredible, the black pudding was tasty and the prosciutto and chorizo was a wonderful complement. S and I were in awe at how creamy the duck egg yolk was – it was so good I wanted more!

Our favourite dish, suckling pig with prunes, sage, pistachio pesto and cabbage salad ($32) topped with pork crackle was seriously incredible! The tender pork, the crispy skin, the generous serving of prunes and dollops of pistachio pesto – Oh em geeee – I was in pork heaven! I could eat it every day, marry it perhaps?

Colin is famous for his colcannon ($9) – by far ONE OF THE BEST I have eaten in Sydney. It was deliciously creamy and deliciously orgasmic!

We were getting full by this stage but couldn’t go past dessert. We would usually order one between two but our stomach were definitely bigger than our eyes and we ordered TWO desserts to share. Firstly, the deconstruction bounty ($16), a popular dessert, and quite similar to the deconstruction snickers at Four in Hand was absolutely marvelous! Chocolate coated vanilla ice cream, with jelly, and white chocolate. I don’t know what kind of jelly it was but it was SO good that we both polished it off.

Donut and apple ($16) sounded different and a popular one as we were told. Three small round donuts which were light and fluffy and a jar which consisted of creamy panna cotta, and apple was good but I think the bounty won both of us over.

Everything on the menu looked good, I am definitely keen to go back to try the crumbed pigs tail, and some of the other fish dish and of course to try the chilled ginger rice pudding with warm stewed rhubarb – such a hearty and warm winter dessert!

Service was excellent, there were so many wait staff and kitchen staff. Food was beyond expectation but then again, I expected nothing less! I am a tad bias though, I have always been a fan of Four in Hand, so will definitely be back. 4Fourteen is a WONDERFUL addition to the Surry Hills restaurant community, so dangerous that it is only 15 minutes walk from where we live! YIKES! I would definitely recommend making a reservation, it was a full house on opening night!

4Fourteen

414 Bourke Street

Surry Hills 2010

4Fourteen on Urbanspoon

1. May 4, 2012 at 1:37 am

I live near at the other end of the Fass empire and am a great fan too. Can’t wait to try out his new place, it looks great!

2. foodiepop
    May 4, 2012 at 4:34 am

Ooh, the Bounty dessert does look like the Snickers dessert at Four In Hand! Looks equally yum.

• May 4, 2012 at 6:20 am

hey foodiepop – it was SOOO GOOD! if we could we probably would have licked the plate also! hahahaha

3. foodiepop
    May 4, 2012 at 4:36 am

Haha, just noticed why it’s called 4Fourteen, duh!

4. jasminwall
    May 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

I am so desperate to try this now. I love Colin Fassnidge. I finally went to the Paddo Arms the other day and it was absolutely wonderful. The Irish Breakfast looks amazing! I’m so glad you posted this, I’ve been wondering so much!

• May 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

hey jasmin, thanks for your kind words! i was also looking forward to it. you should definitely check it out! really enjoyed dinner and cant wait to go again

5. thesuzchef
    May 4, 2012 at 11:11 am

I think I’m STILL full from our feast! Was so delicious and will definitely be back. Love our catch ups! x

• May 5, 2012 at 4:56 am

lol yes i know what you mean! it was indeed delicious! cant wait for our next catch up! x

6. May 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I am salivating over my keyboard as i read your description about the pork and crackling!

7. May 4, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I haven’t been to any of Fass’ places yet….can you believe that (don’t answer as I know you can’t believe it). Looks GREAT…a bit closer to the city too which is good for us Westies.

8. May 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

My eyes immediately went to the ‘Pastry’ section on the first picture of the menu and hahaha started to drool when I saw the desserts towards the end of your posts YUM! I really want to try the donuts!!!

9. May 7, 2012 at 12:25 am

That looks amazing – have never had the pleasure of visiting any of Colin Fassnidge’s other restaurants before, hope to put an end to that by visiting 4Fourteen soon! I love black pudding – I want Irish breakfast for dinner! And the desserts… get in mah belleh!

• May 7, 2012 at 4:40 am

hey maria, definitely must visit! 4fourteen is fantastic and the irish breakfast, awesome!

10. May 7, 2012 at 4:38 am

Yum it all looks great, and I’m with you with the colcannon, I’m as in love with it as much as you love the suckling pig, lol.

11. tastyfoodsnaps
    May 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm

ahhh ive been wanting to go to four in hand for their snickers dessert! now that theres a bounty dessert here, i dont know which place to go to first! looks amazing!

12. May 8, 2012 at 7:10 am

Am going on the weekend – so excited for that Irish Brekkie!!!

• May 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

oh thats great! make sure you have the dessert too! hope you like it as much as i do 🙂

13. May 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

The deconstucted bounty looks incrediable. Cant wait to try

14. May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm

That colcanon looks delish!

15. Allison
    May 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

So sad! I tried 4Fourteen Last night, as I love 4 in Hand I was pretty excited. Much to my dismay, I did not love it. The Irish Bfast was special and delish, but ours looked nothing like your picture(Nothing like it!!!). The service was quick and attentive! The space is gorgeous. But sadly, the rest of our food, was pretty average! Waaa waaaa! 😦

• May 27, 2012 at 2:29 am

hey Allison, thats a real shame! what else did you have? I am going back again on Thursday evening, so will do another comparison then!