Home > Birthday, Cake, Indonesian, Sydney > One Month Celebration

One Month Celebration

I can’t believe that a month has gone since I gave birth to Dragon (Ms E). Which meant that both our confinements are over (earlier for me, as I couldn’t stand being at home for 30 days, 21 days was more than enough for me!)

It is customary in our culture to celebrate a baby’s first month. Plenty of food involved of course and also with cakes and sweets. There were so much food that I really didn’t know where to start so without further adieu below are the pictures of food that was involved – if you are hungry I would stop reading now.

The nasi kuning (turmeric rice) shaped in a cone is called ‘tumpeng’ which is usually served with a side of vegetable and meat is a very traditional dish in Indonesia for celebration. One of my favourites actually – one of Mum’s friends kindly made this for us.

There were also noodles which is important for birthdays – long life etc. Gado-gado which was excellent – it’s SO hard to find good gado-gado in Sydney – although I am not sure why there are tomatoes in it! The sauce though was fantastic.

Not to mention these fantastic bakso goreng (fried pork balls), which was brought from Pinangsia. Mum was going to make her own bakso goreng but she ran out of time!

The MiL made glutinous nasi kuning (turmeric rice) with chicken curry as well as suckling pig – YUM!

Dyed red eggs are important part of the full month celebration as it symbolizes happiness and the renewal of life, as well as announce the arrival of a newborn baby.

Also, my favourite, Ang Ku Kueh (‘red turtle cakes’) – the dough of the cake is dyed red for good luck and the kueh also signifies longevity as turtles have long lives. These were ordered from Istana and they were delicious!

Another favourite of mine – onde-onde as they are called in Malaysia, but in Indonesia they are called ‘kelepon’ and they are infused pandan juice and filled with palm sugar and then rolled with some fresh grated coconut. The palm sugar usually burst in your mouth and it is SO hard to stop at just one! Trust me, I think I ate half a dozen or a dozen on my own!

Then these fish-shaped pudding in a puddle of condensed milk which has rockmelon inside made by one of my aunts were incredible!

There were also quiche, salad and potato salad to mix it up a bit.

People also got to take some goodies home, a box full of different types of things from top left, red egg, sepiku (one of my favourite Indonesian cakes – it’s the 30 egg cake, each layer is made with 10 eggs! Mum didn’t make this but hers would include 30 eggs!) and rissoles. Bottom left, croquet, ang ku kueh and lemper (chicken rice).

The highlight (not that the above food weren’t highlights), however, Dragon’s birthday cake which was made especially by Oni from I eat Sweet. RED VELVET CAKE! I was impatiently waiting to eat it but not after we had photos with the birthday girl! Pity she couldn’t eat any of it, as it was EPIC! Thanks Oni for making the cake in such short notice! LOVE!

To my dearest Dragon – Happy One Month! I am sure there will be many more celebrations to come!

To all my friends and family, many thanks for celebrating this special moment with us. We truly do appreciate it and look forward to many more celebrations and gatherings! x

1. Tina @ bitemeshowme
    May 21, 2012 at 1:16 am

Aww happy one month birthday dragon aka Emma! Can’t wait to see more photos as you start to grow up! Love the fact that this one month thing is always celebrated with a feast. I love it! And I love that last photo. Priceless ❤ xoxo

2. May 21, 2012 at 1:25 am

Gorgeous pics and OMG, so much food. I remember walking in and thinking “Holy sheeeeet!” Hahaha!

Those deep fried pork balls. Thank YOU for introducing me to them and making me eat it. I want some now.

Happy 1 month Em!

• May 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

there were SO MANY leftovers – think i had it for a week but i didnt get any pork balls leftovers 😦 will take you there soon! x

3. May 21, 2012 at 2:32 am

Awesome spread 😀 such a foodie baby already 😉

4. May 21, 2012 at 2:47 am

Awww happy one month gorgeous! I know the one month confinement used to be part of our culture too but they don’t really enforce it anymore in western society. I’d go nuts too!
    Hehe looks like mummy thoroughly enjoyed the

• May 21, 2012 at 4:56 am

hey angie, you know, i didnt think my mum would impose me on the confinement! considering we have lived here for a while but SHE MADE ME DO IT!!! hahaha terrible! i did go crazy… finally out now!

5. May 21, 2012 at 3:18 am

Happy one month celebration to Emma. Hooray that you’re both officially out of confinement 🙂 Hope the little one is all ready for your eating and shopping adventures.

• May 21, 2012 at 4:57 am

hey dumpling girl! havent heard from you in ages! hope you are well! yes, finally out!!! yay

6. foodiepop
    May 21, 2012 at 5:02 am

So cute! Congrats on an early milestone!

7. chocolatesuze
    May 21, 2012 at 5:18 am

woahhh all the foods! happy one month to emma!

8. May 21, 2012 at 6:03 am

Massive congrats to you & Dragon (and your hubby too)! Looks like a wonderful feast – like those Indonesian rijsttafel/rice table dinners I’ve read about.

9. May 21, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hi there! Congratulations for your baby, she’s so cute. And what an Indo feast! It’s been a while since I ate most of those things you have there. I miss Indo’s dessert so much! 🙂

• May 21, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hi Irene – many thanks for your kind words! yes – i love indo desserts too! there were more but didnt take all the photos!

10. May 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Happy 1st month to little Dragon! Too bad she didn’t get to try any of the food!

1. December 31, 2012 at 11:30 am