Home > Bakery, Coffee, Syd: Newtown, Sydney > Black Star Pastry, Newtown

Black Star Pastry, Newtown

Black Star Pastry requires no introduction. This patisserie is located on Australia Street and well known for its cakes and delicious sweets. I can’t believe it has taken me this long to come back since it first opened.

It’s a small bakery, limited seating area and extremely busy on the weekends. We were there on a weekday around lunch time and the place was already busy. I had just eaten lunch but wanted some sweets to take home.

I couldn’t go past their signature Strawberry, Watermelon and Rose cream cake. My goodness – doesn’t it look pretty? Ok I wasn’t driving that fast, it somehow toppled!  I was tempted to buy the large cake but thought a slice would probably suffice. The cake is light and airy, I love the flavours and the subtle aroma of the rose cream. Topped with sweet strawberry, it was delightful – I couldn’t help but eat most of it, in hindsight, I probably should have bought the whole cake!

I love bread and butter pudding, and this was superb! As I didn’t dine in, I was told to heat it up for 40 seconds in the microwave and then pour the crème anglaise over it.

We devoured this within minutes! Eaten warm, it was incredibly sinful and incredibly delicious! One gripe though, I wish we had more crème anglaise!

It’s not all about the sweets, they have a mean pie here too – got two for the family, a lamb shank, red wine and vegetable pie – I can smell the aroma of the red wine, I am not usually a massive fan of lamb as you know but this was pretty good. The meat pie I didn’t get to try as I was stuffed, but I was informed that it was one of the best pies he has eaten!

I totally forgot to buy the donuts which means a visit again is in order. Next time we will definitely dine in! Can’t wait to go back, especially for that Strawberry, watermelon cake! YUM!

Black Star Pastry

277 Australia Street

Newtown 2042

Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon

1. June 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

The donut was awesome. Am planning to drop by this weekend!

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme
    June 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I’ve heard much whispers about this place. Sadly if it’s not around the cbd area it’s really hard for me to get to 😦 I really am missing out on all these places! Sigh.

3. June 27, 2012 at 2:36 am

Back in our sugar binging days my husband and I used to stop by and buy a few different desserts, all good.

4. June 27, 2012 at 4:35 am

dont worry, i havent been yet! so jealous of all the pics people take when visiting. the strawberry watermelon cake looks so good!

5. June 28, 2012 at 8:57 am

Mmm I love Black Star! Their watermelon cake is so original and delicious 🙂

6. June 29, 2012 at 4:47 am

I need to get my butt over here. Everyones Instagramming has given me a craving 🙂

7. tastyfoodsnaps
    July 3, 2012 at 1:29 am

The bread and butter pudding looks amazing! I’ve had the watermelon cake before too which was pretty good 🙂

• July 3, 2012 at 11:55 am

i LOVE the bread and butter pudding – its fantastic! def due for a visit i think!

8. July 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I need to seriously find some time for a return visit, somehow keep getting distracted by other things. There’s just so much good food to eat out there 😀

• July 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

i love black star pastry! will go on a weekday i think… weekends are just too busy!