‘The Mother’s’ favourite breakfast of all time, pancakes with strawberries and drizzled with honey.
I usually use Bill Granger’s Sydney food book recipe – lemon souffle for pancakes, as I find it is one of the fluffiest and best pancakes, however, I had some ricotta cheese leftover and thought I would add it. I omitted the grated lemon zest and just added more lemon juice.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 – 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- Place buttermilk, egg yolks, lemon juice and vanilla essence in a bowl and stir until combined. Add melted butter and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in buttermilk mixture until the dry ingredients are moist, be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold the ricotta cheese.
- Place egg whites in a dry, clean bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, using a large metal spoon.
- Melt a small portion of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and drop 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake into the pan. Cook until golden brown.
- Transfer to plate and keep warm whilst cooking remaining batter.
Served it with strawberries, cut into bite size pieces and drizzle with honey.
Easy pancakes with strawberries!